You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New drawing.
Add Text Frame.
Select Text Frame in Layers panel.
Select Node Tool.
Select Enable Transform Origin in the context toolbar.
Nothing happens.

Add rectangle.
Select rectangle.
Select Node Tool.
Select Enable Transform Origin in the context toolbar.
The rectangle gets its transform origin.

Select Text Frame and its transform origin now appears.

????????

Sorry - missed the mention of the Node Tool.

There does seem to be some inconsistency here.

Rectangles are handled one way, Text Frames another, and Shape Text different again.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

That seems to be the issue, Aammppaa.

Using the Move Tool, I go to the far right drop-down menu on the top toolbar and select Enable Transform Origin and that does the job.

However, with that de-selected, if I use the Node Tool and its context toolbar, it doesn't work. See below.

transform origin.jpg

8 hours ago, Eddy-2 said:

Using the Move Tool, I go to the far right drop-down menu on the top toolbar and select Enable Transform Origin and that does the job.

However, with that de-selected, if I use the Node Tool and its context toolbar, it doesn't work. See below.

I think what @haakoo said earlier about the Node Tool not doing anything on a text frame is the key to understanding this inconsistent behavior:

Frame text, art text, shape text, & 'quick shapes' like rectangles have selection boxes but no nodes as such, so the Node Tool cannot use the Transform Origin for anything other than as a reference point for adjusting the selection box. That is done in the usual way by moving the Node Tool pointer to the appropriate place on or near one of the selection box's handles to resize, rotate, shear, etc. the selection box & its contents. At least on Macs, the Node Tool pointer changes to the appropriate one when moved to one of those selection box locations to indicate that.

However, the inconsistency is that with the Node Tool active, single-clicking on frame or art text objects does not do anything other than selecting them, which can be seen in the layers panel, but it does not reveal their selection boxes on the canvas or otherwise indicate on the canvas that anything is selected. Double-clicking with the Node Tool on these object types switches to the frame or art text tool as appropriate, activates the text cursor, & does reveal the selection box.

By comparison, single-clicking on shape text or quick shapes both selects them & reveals their selection boxes. At that point double-clicking has no further effect on quick shapes. For shape text it switches to the Frame Text Tool, similarly to how it works on frame text.

So I think the only thing that needs changing to eliminate the inconsistency is to change the single-click behavior for frame & art text objects to the same as for the others so all of them reveal the selection box.

Does that make sense?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R.

Although your explanation is quite a bit to take in, it does make sense - especially the Node Tool double-click point you made.

Part of my original problem, I think, was overlooking the text box's drop down menu at the top right of the toolbar when using the Move Tool, allowing me to select its Transform Origin . I thought I'd checked it but obviously not.