You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artistic Filters?

17 hours ago, Tim Folkes said:

the really big 'missing link' in Photo is a 'Library' function similar to Lightroom or Picasa

Wrong comparison.  Affinity Photo is a document-based editor - one open file (image) per tab.  More like Photoshop, not Lightroom.

23 hours ago, Tim Folkes said:

Is there any chance of creating a range of 'Artistic Filters' similar to those I use in Adobe Elements?
Second - the really big 'missing link' in Photo is a 'Library' function similar to Lightroom or Picasa.

This would save me having to have 2 progs open at the same time.

Affinity Photo doesn't have the artistic filters. They're not really used much anymore to be honest. They just remain in Photoshop as remnants from the past, where those effects weren't considered tacky a few decades ago. Photoshop has a way of leaving things in no matter how little they are used. They never remove features, they're always adding things (which, to be fair, is quite important).

Nonetheless, there are still some people who use it I suppose. So maybe they will add these, we'll see. To be clear, though, you can mimic the effects of some of them just by mixing and matching the available effects. May I ask, what artistic filter in particular are you trying to achieve? Maybe there's a workaround.

Also, Affinity Photo doesn't have a library because, as fde101 said, this is a document-based editor. People use Affinity Photo not just for adjusting the color of photographs, but also for graphic design and even painting. If Affinity Photo forced you to use a Library system, it would be annoying to a lot of users, myself included. I personally hate Library systems because they're always laggy and I just want to jump right into a a new canvas. Photoshop doesn't do any fancy library system, either.

Still, I think Affinity Photo should maybe try to create a hybrid between document-based editing and library editing to satisfy both types of people. Maybe there could be an option in the settings to turn off the library, idk.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:37 PM, HuniSenpai said:

maybe try to create a hybrid between document-based editing and library editing to satisfy both types of people

There is a possibility they will eventually release a separate DAM product to handle the "library" functionality.

That belongs in a separate program.  Different concept.

If you want to try something integrated, try On1 Photo RAW as it basically adds a "Layers" feature (editor) to what is otherwise a "library" type of application - but I personally don't like the way their editing features are set up and would only really want to use it as a catalog/raw processor.  Whether I am using On1, Capture One, DxO Photolab, etc., I use those as catalogs/organizers and as RAW processors and to perform basic adjustments, then use Affinity Photo to handle more complex edits for those photos that still need it.

There is also Filter Forge, which is currently on sale, but the current version 9 doesn't seem to work correctly in Affinity Photo, at least on the Mac.  The compatibility list for plugins shows version 6 of Filter Forge as working with version 1.5 of Affinity Photo, but version 9 of Filter Forge, while it shows up in the list under Photo 1.7 as well as the 1.8 beta, never opens a window to set up the effect.

You can use it standalone though, and there are Palette Knife, and Cutout effects in the online filter library for Filter Forge.  While I didn't see one called "brushify", I tried searching for "brush" and got a bunch of hits, some of which may be similar to what you are looking for?

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/8847.html

• 1 year later...

I've posted a tutorial on how to create artistic filter macros which use a combination of the Procedural Texture filter (Filters>Colours>Procedural Texture) with the Displace filter. I'm not a mathematician, or coder so I don't fully understand how to write the equations from scratch, but by tinkering with existing equations I've managed to create macro filters which produce impasto paint, palette knife, realistic watercolour bleed, chalk pastel and oil paint like textures. My first example is here:

I plan to add more to that page shortly.

I've also started tinkering with the Equations filter. So far I've managed to create an editable Crosshatch filter (Macro attached). The only problem with it is that you cannot preview the controls. You have to click on the edit cogwheel and adjust the sliders BEFORE you click the play macro arrow.

Crosshatch Filter.afmacro