You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when creating Panorama

Under Mac OS Catalina I am unable to save a recently created panorama. As I also have Mojave loaded I have tried there and Photo 1.7 works fine but in Catalina I can load the images and create a panorama but as soon as I click “ok” the program crashes, every time. There are lots of posts re not being able to work with photos which has a work around but with a panorama there is no work around short of re booting into Mojave. Is this being fixed in 1.8?

iMac 27” 5k 2017  3.8 Gig i5 16Gig ram Radeon Pro 8 Gig graphics

Error log attached

Affinity Photo_2020-01-16-152111_iMac-3.crash

• Staff

Hey Steve, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

I've tried this with a few of my own panoramas and I cannot reproduce it.

It looks like we have the same iMac and I'm on Catalina too. Any chance you can upload the images you're stitching to this private Dropbox account so I can have a go?

• Staff

Thanks for the images,

I've tried these on 1.7.3 and 1.8 beta on Catalina and I'm getting no crashes. 

I will see if the developers can see the cause in the crash report you attached.

There was an old issue in 1.6.7 with the same recipe but this is marked as fixed. 

• Staff

Hey BB_Photographie,

Is this specifically with creating a panorama? If so, I'm still trying to chase this up. If this is more of a general crash or specific to a tool/action etc. please could you report it in the bug section in its own thread along with the bug report as this would be really helpful. Thank you :) 

How does the error occur:
- I click on file, new panorama ...
- Click on add
- Select the pictures (in my case 4 pictures)
- then click on open
- The pictures are displayed in the overview
- Then click Merge Panorama, the preview of the panorama is also displayed
- now I click on OK and then the program is completely closed and the possibility to send an error report is displayed.

Should I post this case in the bug section?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-03 um 13.47.11.png

• Staff
4 minutes ago, BB_Photographie said:

Should I post this case in the bug section?

No it's fine here. I'm seeing a number of reports of crashing whilst creating a panorama at the moment so we're trying to investigate. Are you getting any crash reports and can you upload them at all?

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

No it's fine here. I'm seeing a number of reports of crashing whilst creating a panorama at the moment so we're trying to investigate. Are you getting any crash reports and can you upload them at all?

Yes, I get the crash reports and can upload them (send them to Apple).
Should I send you a report? Best by PN?

59 minutes ago, BB_Photographie said:

sorry, but what is the Separated Mode? Can you help me, explain briefly?

Individual windows for each document or view. By default Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher open in one consolidated window with separate Documents opening in 'Tabs' within that window.

1500841873_ScreenShot2020-02-03at9_58_18AM.png.3d103adee11883284ba7dc9df9db53ab.png

Here is a view of 5 documents in separated mode.

840888374_ScreenShot2020-02-03at9_58_35AM.thumb.png.8fead33fda8b40d342952bc801b6e5ff.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi - I'm also having this crash problem every time I try to create a New Panorama. Segmentation fault, looks like bad pointer/memory access. Works fine on High Sierra 10.13.6, crashes every time on Catalina 10.15.3. New Stack works Ok then I can hand blend but that's obviously much slower.

I tried toggling Window -> Separated Mode on and off and it makes a small difference; Separated Mode off I see the merged result image open but then it crashes before I can do anything else, Separated Mode on it crashes before I see the merged result image.

I tried Preferences, enabling and disabling Hardware Acceleration, all 4 Display options (Software, OpenGL (Basic), OpenGL, Metal),makes no difference.

I tried multiple different tiff and jpeg source images to add as input, different sizes, different scenes, different numbers of source images 2..6, crashes every time.

I tried different monitor setups, dual monitors via eGPU, single 24" monitor basic Mac Mini HDMI output, makes no difference.

After clicking Stitch Panorama, seeing the stitched thumbnail then clicking Ok on the New Panorama dialg I see the merged image open briefly, then it crashes before I can do anything else.

BUT while testing this a lot it stopped happening on one try, then it works fine every time even in Separated Mode. Perhaps Affinity memory layout is somehow different occasionally on Catalina which avoids the segmentation fault ...

Happy to gather any more info, try any possible workarounds or a beta/test build ...

- Mac mini 2018, 32GB RAM

- Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 9100 16GB

- Catalina 10.15.3

- Affinity Photo v1.7.3

ProblemReport-AffinityPhotoNewLandscapeCatalinaCrash2.txt

I run into the same problem, creating a panorama, can see the thumbnail panorma; as soon as i click OK, the programm shuts down, every time.

catalina 10.15.3; Affinity photo 1.7.3,  i use modular mode,16GB RAM, did an extensive hardware test - eveything fine; reinstalled affinity photo, reinstalled OS, the problem stays. guess we need an update urgently.

martin

• Staff

A fix was made for the current beta if you would like to test it:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/106862-affinity-photo-customer-beta-180164/

The beta will install alongside your retail version. I've had a look this morning and it seems promising. 

Please note that if you save anything in the beta, it will not open in the retail version so work on a copy :) 

If you're still getting a crash, could you attach the crash report for us please?