You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta doesn't work anymore?

I mean, I get that the app has officially launched and you're trying to get people to buy it, but I got the Beta cause I'd already bought Designer and wanted to check it out/support.

I even cancelled my CreativeCloud subscription when you announced the Photo Beta.

Although by no means a power user, I do need this app for small day to day stuff for work and home.

I will buy the app soon, I'm just kinda skint now and the ATMs here (Athens) are only giving out 50 euro a day so I have to prioritise :)

Regardless of that, it seems like not so much of a nice move to disable the app completely, it would've been nicer to give people like a 30-day window or something...

My beta stopped working on the day of the release (here in the US). I also expected a somewhat longer window, perhaps allowing users a week to convert over, but at least I was able to buy the release version the day it was available. Things are, I guess, more difficult in Greece due to the current crisis. I hope things will be better there soon now since the news says that a deal has been reached.

@MikeFromMesa, yeh, I thought there'd be a window too, this seems a bit unnecessary :/

Thanks, I'm not too worried but since withdrawals are limited, I have to prioritise and topping up the credit card is not really a priority :)

The Free trail version will probably be back when the 20% discount is passed..

The Affinity Designer page still has a Free trail app for download, the Affinity Photo page doesn't have this option.. Probably because of the discount.

To be honest you can just buy the app the Mac App Store and if you don't like it you have 14 days to ask for a refund without questions asked by Apple or the developer.

I think this is a very fair policy made by Apple, I have used it a few times before and it works very well. 

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

To be honest you can just buy the app the Mac App Store and if you don't like it you have 14 days to ask for a refund without questions asked by Apple or the developer.

I think this is a very fair policy made by Apple, I have used it a few times before and it works very well. 

I did not know that the App Store had a 14 day trial period, so that is good news. Thanks for posting that.

• Staff

Hello guys,

The beta dying on launch day was actually a mistake - it should have been the day after! We realised that on launch day but there was little we could do about it at that point - sorry!

Yes, a trial is coming soon - but it's a couple of weeks worth of engineering to make the trial and package it. We'll be focussing on the customer beta programme launch at the end of this week / start of next, then we will start making the trial version - so expect it around 4 weeks after launch.

Thanks,

Andy.

Hello guys,

The beta dying on launch day was actually a mistake - it should have been the day after! We realised that on launch day but there was little we could do about it at that point - sorry!

Yes, a trial is coming soon - but it's a couple of weeks worth of engineering to make the trial and package it. We'll be focussing on the customer beta programme launch at the end of this week / start of next, then we will start making the trial version - so expect it around 4 weeks after launch.

Thanks,

Andy.

Hello Andy,

That's in any case quite a great piece of news to know we'll be able to trial the app before buying.

Though I guess it could have been a little more "fair-play" to provide the trial before the end of the discount offer to buy the app. Because many people didn't eard of the app to beta test it (my case actually), and then I'll have to wait the end of the discount to trial it and eventually buy it full price...

Cheers,

Fp.

@FpTargeT: Search for MacAffinity on Vimeo.com to see loads of videos, to see the app in action. Affinity Photo is way, way better than Photoshop and I suggest buying it now. If you like Photoshop I guarantee you will love Affinity. i've used Photoshop for 15 years and this is the first true killer. Bought it on launch day. It's that good!

Sorry pals,

Thanks for your answers, I'm indeed fond of PS, but I rather use LightRoom to develop and catalog my photos, and in all I saw I didn't see any videos or hints regarding these features. That's why I can't be sure to shift from one to another without testing it first.

Sorry pals,

Thanks for your answers, I'm indeed fond of PS, but I rather use LightRoom to develop and catalog my photos, and in all I saw I didn't see any videos or hints regarding these features. That's why I can't be sure to shift from one to another without testing it first.

I am one of those people who use AP as an external editor for my workflow tool. I have used it with Lightroom but my preferred workflow tool is Dxo Optics Pro (although I have also used CaptureOne). But AP is still my Photoshop replacement for an external editor and I am very happy with it. It has allowed me to drop out of the Photography program (and to stop paying monthly) and there is very little functionality that I have given up to be able to do that. I have lost the Automation functionality in PS, but expect much of that to be restored when Serif adds the Macro Persona back to the package sometime soon) and some of the plugin functionality (but expect that to be restored when the AP developers finish polishing the plugin stuff).

For me, even though it is not my main editor, AP has been more than good enough for me to say goodbye to Adobe.

Sorry pals,

We're talking here about PS vs Affinity Photo. Not on converting RAW files to JPG or TIFF. We're talking about a photo editor.

Lightroom and Photoshop are two different programs. Lightroom is a converter with small editing capabilities, and Photoshop is an editor with small file conversion capabilities.
Like MikeFromMesa, I use DxO to convert NEF to JPG, and edit in the Affinity Photo, which is IMHO a much much much :D  better program. Affinity Photo needs to spend a little time learning how to use, change the habits learned in other programs. If you do, it's no longer return to the PS.

So, after having put money in my card I just realised I can't even buy the app - or any app for that matter - due to the f***ing capital controls here in Greece, I can't buy anything from abroad.

Sucks to be me... :/

So, after having put money in my card I just realised I can't even buy the app - or any app for that matter - due to the f***ing capital controls here in Greece, I can't buy anything from abroad.

I thought all of that was past and that things were back to normal since the agreement between the EU and Greece has been ratified by the Greek Parliament. Is that not the case?

If not, then I guess all of those people on the Adobe Photography Program are really in trouble because they cannot send their monthly payments to Adobe. Wow! Never thought about that when reading about the problems between the Greek government and the EU.

I thought all of that was past and that things were back to normal since the agreement between the EU and Greece has been ratified by the Greek Parliament. Is that not the case?

If not, then I guess all of those people on the Adobe Photography Program are really in trouble because they cannot send their monthly payments to Adobe. Wow! Never thought about that when reading about the problems between the Greek government and the EU.

I had no idea but apparently that's still the case :/

It seems stupid to block the AppStore and PayPal etc but I guess they did a blanket "ban"...

Here's hoping it gets lifted soon, I'm still managing with Designer :)

I had no idea but apparently that's still the case :/

It seems stupid to block the AppStore and PayPal etc but I guess they did a blanket "ban"...

Here's hoping it gets lifted soon, I'm still managing with Designer :)

Well, best of luck to you folks. Hang in there. Hope things get better soon.

Just hang on in there...

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Will the Beta versions of both apps keep going on the forums in the future?

I often used those topics to see what kept the developers busy and what I could expect from the upcoming update(s).

I'm so excited and happy with Affinity Photo that I feel like a child in a candy store at this moment.

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.