You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

beta 523 - IDML Import/Open - Linked files Still Show Modified

Still have the issue with opening an IDML where all linked PSD, AI, PDF, EPS files show in Resource Manager as Modified and require Updating.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

When I clicked to Update the files, I got an unusual dialog popup. I think I may have seen it before in prev beta, but not 100% sure. Asks if I want resources to be linked instead of embedded, but all files were already linked, so not sure why it would ask. (There NO embedded resources/graphics in the document.)

Also noted that 2 of the graphics would not Update and continue to show Modified.

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 10.34.26 AM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

The first issue is something we have logged - it might be a slightly different cause but some changes are coming in this area that should address this.

The second thing i'll need to see your file and perform the update to see, if there are no embedded files then you shouldn't be seeing that dialog as far as I'm aware - If you want to upload your file and all the linked resources here i'll have a look

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

All files uploaded. 

I also just tried importing/opening the IDML file again since it's been awhile since I did this. Got that dialog twice this time asking if I wanted to link instead of embedding. It also created the 2 small mysterious TIFF images that show as embedded. And as per your comment, there were no embedded files other than the newly created (by the import or IDML process) 2 TIFF graphics. All other graphics/images were and are linked. Odd that this time it asked me twice about wanting to link instead of embedding and also asked twice about where to store the linked files.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

So all you did is open the uploaded IDML file and you were prompted about it linking over embedding? I get prompted about missing resource and can see the 2 Tiffs you are referring too, still looking into what's causing them but they don't look corrupt so I don't think there's an harm in them being there atleast..

Otherwise I haven't seen that dialog pop up yet when working with these files

One thing I have noticed looking at what you attach is the "Neil Whittey - Clean Water 2019 - WW -4pg - CMYK_print_X4_beta.afpub" file has a resource ("Gurney Logo Footer - Literature.png") that when I try make linked from embedded crashes the app - I've logged this.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I got the dialog when I tried to click the Update button for all the resources showing as Modified. Typically I would select all resources showing Modified and then click the Update button, so not sure which one causes the dialog.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Making a specific embedded file linked causes app to crash) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.