You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flatten and save

Hi. 

Have just purchased and installed the official release but immediately hit a snag.

I loaded a .jpg image, re-coloured it, and then wanted to save it. No can do -- no option so save as anything but a .afphoto file.

So I checked the layers - there was a new adjustment layer so I looked for the "Flatten" function - again, no can do. It doesn't exist.

So I tried Merge visible. That produced yet another (pixel) layer. I didn't want that - I wanted to flatten the image. Anyhow, I deleted all the extra layers and was left with the Pixel Layer only. Tired to save this but there is still no option to save as anything but .afphoto.

I'm already regretting buying this app if such a simple yet essential function is missing.

I checked the help and it tells me this:

If you have only made modifications that are supported by an image file type (for example, a JPG or PNG), then using the Save function will simply save over the top of the current file. If you have made modifications that are not supported, such as adding layers, then you can save the image as a project file or flatten and merge the changes to the existing file.

Well, how do I flatten? And I really don't want to overwrite the original .jpg - I want to save the modified image as a new .jpg. This is trivial in PS CS5.

OK - a bit more searching: 

The Flatten command is not under the Layers menu, where I expected it, but under the Document menu.

The Save As command does not offer the option to save as another file type (e.g. .jpg) but the Export command does.

So problem solved, sorry for the impatience.

OK - a bit more searching: 

The Flatten command is not under the Layers menu, where I expected it, but under the Document menu.

The Save As command does not offer the option to save as another file type (e.g. .jpg) but the Export command does.

So problem solved, sorry for the impatience.

You can also merge the layers using the Layer -> Merge Visible or select the layers, right-click and select Merge Visible. Both of those will produce a merge layer but you will have to delete the excess layers before you write out the image.

• 5 months later...

Not having a simple flatten command is a real pain - will probably mean that I won't buy.

Another inconvenience is not automatically opening the folder that the file was in - using Mac Finder and having to remember where the file was stored (only seems to happen when multiple files are open) - again, this is a deal-breaker for me.

It's a pity about the above because, although I only downloaded the trial this morning, I would have bought it - it's a pretty amzing piece of software for the price.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.