I'm curious to know if I can use this app for creating collages of several of my photographs? I've searched the index but couldn't find a reference. Appreciate any help. Many thanks.

AgingHippy1947

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

Yes you can, start off by creating a blank document the size you want your collage to be, then on the File menu use Place to insert your images. I'd recommend inserting each image onto it's own layer, this allows you to edit the image without effecting the others.

Thanks for asking this AgingHippy. I'd also like to add multiple images at the same time (say if I'm making a collage with 10+ images). Any tips out there on streamlining the collage process?

Open the the Finder window where the images are located, select them all and drag over the Affinity document. This will create a layer for each image.

Note that you need to create a new document first, otherwise Affinity Photo will open each image as a new document.

Nice that's sweet.Thanks

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

I'm having a hard time pulling them into the new document. What am I missing? I apologize, but I'm a complete novice at photo editing. Is there a sample video to reference?

Hi chrismay99,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Here's a small clip showing how to add images as layers. Note that you need to have a document already opened/created, otherwise the images will be added as separated documents.

To create a new document, go to menu File ▸ New.

adding_images_as_layers.mov

Hi,

I just created a collage with multiple images, following video tutorial instructions, but when I double click on a single image for editing it doesn't open in a separate window.... Is this a bug or do I miss something in option, preferences and so on...

Thank for answering...

arfo

Hi arfo62,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Only embedded documents containing several layers/objects (PDF, SVG, PSD and native affinity formats) will open in a new tab for editing. When placing regular images (JPG, PNG, TIFF) they are integrated directly in the document (not embedded). You can identify embedded documents looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the layers panel (see screenshot below).

post-59-0-64044300-1495390685_thumb.png

Hi MEB,

and thank you for super fast answering!

I watched the video again and it showed an .aphoto document placing, actually....

So, one more question about collages: do you suggest creating them by opening separate images or by embedding different aphoto docs, so to keep the chance to correct images on the way?

thank you again!

arfo

p.s. tutorial videos are very useful but I think (not alone, I guess) that a regular, official, pdf manual is a must for a program like Affinity that I hope to use in the future (I'm a very newbie, as you can see...)