You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unstable with large Books

I just loaded and installed the new version of affiniy publisher on my windows 10 computer. I must say that this version is still unstable when it I work on large books with large format (30x30cm size) and big images (TIF format). When I want to export a book as a PDF-Web format with around 200 pages it crashes almost all the time (actually it freezes completelly). I' going nuts here because this is not nice to work with - besides that I like the publisher a lot but with large books it sucks to work with. Sorry.

What can I do?

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Version 1903
Intel Core i5-6600 @3.30Ghz
32 GB Ram
SSD Harddrive

35 minutes ago, mike jungwirth said:

I must say that this version is still unstable when it I work on large books with large format (30x30cm size) and big images (TIF format).

Are you Embedding your TIFF files, or Linking them?

When you save your .afpub file, what size is it on disk?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That doesn't sound like it should be a problem, but there are still functions you could be using that will require more work. For example, if you're wrapping text around the images, using the Baseline functions, etc. which seem to be funtions that require a lot of CPU.

I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas for now. Perhaps someone else can help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

(Need more information.)

Even if Linked your tiff files still have to be loaded into your document/memory when you open it

So, what is the total size of all tiff files?
Where are they located (what drive?)

What is total memory usage (percentage) when the document is open?
How much free space on your SSD drive after the document is fully loaded

Are you sure it is freezing and not just taking a long while to process all that information when exporting to PDF?  (Check CPU and disk activity for APub when it's exporting)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon