You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows 10 BSOD with KB4517389 installed

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. Like some of you here, I also installed the trial version of Affinity Photo from their website. I installed it on Windows 10 with all the latest Windows update (including the November one). I have it on Mac too but had to check on Windows. Since everything seemed to be OK, I decided to purchase it, but on Microsoft Store. That's when I would get my first ever BSOD on my new Lenovo laptop after 3 months of smooth operating. This would happen at every launch of Affinity with the same issue related to cldflt.sys.

1. I deactivated cldflt.sys at system startup ("sc config cldflt start= disabled" in Command Prompt, without the quotes)
  2. Deactivated cldflt for the current session (sc stop cldflt)
  3. Started Affinity Photo which worked fine then.
  4. I reactivated cldflt for the current session (if I remember well), and Affinity stayed alive.
  5. So I reactivated cldflt for the next system startups too (sc config cldflt start= auto), rebooted Windows, launched Affinity Photo and got no more BSOD.
  • Note 1: be sure to have a space after the equal sign.
  • Note 2: you can check that cldflt is working by typing "sc qc cldflt". I could also read my OneDrive local files, so the service was working. However I cannot see cldflt listed in Services. I also checked with Sysinternals Autoruns64.exe tool, but I still couldn't see this service listed anywhere, though I now the location of the file (system32\drivers\cldflt.sys).
  • Note 3: maybe step 1 was superfluous, but all this worked for me, even if I am not qualified to give any explanation.

Hope that helps.

This issue should be resolved in the December 2019 Patch Tuesday update—which is now available:

December 10, 2019—KB4530684 (OS Builds 18362.535 and 18363.535)

Windows 10, version 1909
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- This build includes all the improvements from Windows 10, version 1903.

Windows 10, version 1903
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Addresses an issue that might cause error 0x3B in cldflt.sys on some devices.