Jump to content
Chul

Selecting with Move Tool in APub

Recommended Posts

Hello Affinity Users,

I'm posting this out of curiosity & slight frustration. I'm using the latest version of APub (1.7.3) & my document is a good mix of pictures & text & some vectors. When I go to select a group of a picture & rectangle it simply will not do anything. I can click on it all I want & nothing ever happens. I always end up going to the layers panel & grabbing it from there. It's clearly on top, not in the background at all. Weird..

Anybody else notice this or is it my file alone??

Good day!

-Chul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chul,

When you say nothing happens, doesn't the whole group get selected?  Thats what happens for me.  Can you post a sample file?

Also If you hold down CTRL and click the object in the group, only that one will be selected.  I think the issue here is that the group is technically one object, so you click and everything in that group gets selected, which I would say is expected behaviour and the reason we have the CTRL click method :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply, @stokerg!   No, nothing gets selected. I did find out though that if I precisely click on the very edge of the object/group it will select it. I will see if I can post a sample this afternoon..

Thanks for clarifying on the CTRL click, that's  a handy feature to know & use!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chul said:

Thanks for clarifying on the CTRL click, that's  a handy feature to know & use!:)

By the way:

Another way to select an object inside a group is to Double-Click the item on page: the 1st click selects the group, the 2nd an object inside.
Additionally an OPTION-Click does select the grouped objects in their layer order and enables you to select objects behind others.

Once an object of a group got selected by a double-click for instance then another Double-Click will switch to the Node Tool + highlights its single nodes and offers their individual node selection.

p.s.: On mac a CTRL-click would select the object AND open the context menu. Instead CMD-click selects the object only in macOS.


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thomaso said:

By the way:

Another way to select an object inside a group is to Double-Click the item on page: the 1st click selects the group, the 2nd an object inside.
Additionally an OPTION-Click does select the grouped objects in their layer order and enables you to select objects behind others.

Once an object of a group got selected by a double-click for instance then another Double-Click will switch to the Node Tool + highlights its single nodes and offers their individual node selection.

p.s.: On mac a CTRL-click would select the object AND open the context menu. Instead CMD-click selects the object only in macOS.

That's what I was currently doing for selections within a group....

I tried creating a sample file, but that one cooperates perfectly so I don't know what the deal is..

Thanks for your responses anyway!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chul said:

I tried creating a sample file, but that one cooperates perfectly so I don't know what the deal is..

My hints do not touch the issue you mentioned:

6 hours ago, Chul said:

No, nothing gets selected. I did find out though that if I precisely click on the very edge of the object/group it will select it. I will see if I can post a sample this afternoon..

Possibly besides (or instead, if it isn't related to a document) a screen video would show your specific issue of "nothing gets selected". Make sure to show the complete page (or spread) and the layers panel.

Honestly I still have difficulties with selecting objects inside a group on page with move tool, too. I am simply not used to press an additional key as a default function – I'd rather appreciate I'd need to press one if I want to select the entire group only. Or, to be able to kind of unlock the group property of being selected automatically when an object on page is meant to be clicked.


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

My hints do not touch the issue you mentioned:

Right. I forgot to clarify, sorry! What I meant was simply that I was doing it your way & had found that the CTRL click method handy to know if I want one precise thing especially.

 

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Possibly besides (or instead, if it isn't related to a document) a screen video would show your specific issue of "nothing gets selected". Make sure to show the complete page (or spread) and the layers panel.

I would but it's business info that can't be shown just everywhere...:|

 

11 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Honestly I still have difficulties with selecting objects inside a group on page with move tool, too. I am simply not used to press an additional key as a default function – I'd rather appreciate I'd need to press one if I want to select the entire group only. Or, to be able to kind of unlock the group property of being selected automatically when an object on page is meant to be clicked.

Neat idea! That would be sweet being able to sort of unlock your group.. What I do right now is group & ungroup however I need it for the moment. Which definitely isn't the fastest thing on the earth.. It works. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chul said:

it's business info that can't be shown

If you have the issue with other documents then indeed it might be worth to create a sample file. A group of 3 rectangles for instance, partially covering each other, would be enough to see you clicking on the middle of an object versus on the objects edge.

5 minutes ago, Chul said:

What I do right now is group & ungroup however I need it for the moment.

Yes, an awful workflow. I prefer meanhwile the additional key clicks or selection within layers panel. But its all still not a fluently, intuitive workflow.


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.