You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator fonts not editable in Affinity Designer?

Hello everybody,

I'm not a professional graphic designer and only rudimentarily familiar with the basics of Affinity - but it's enough to work creatively. I want to buy a font from Fontbundle.net that I want to edit. I asked the creator of the font if its editable in Affinity Designer. Here is what he replied:

(...) If you're talking about editable design template (which is included in ai file) - it requires only Adobe Illustrator. I've tried to open this template in Affinity Designer on iPad, and I've figured out that vector eps file is opening fine, but in this case the text will not be editable. (...)

I'm not sure if I got it right - but: Wouldn't that mean that all fonts/files built with adobe illustrator are not editable in Affinity. Is that true? Or is there a workaround?

Thank you so much for your help,
Simon

Edited by Simon Singular

If you want to edit font you need a font editor, which Designer is not.

If you want to use a template, .ai file should open fine in Designer if there is PDF stream included in .ai, and the template is not too complicated.

Thank you very much Fixx,

as I wrote - I'm a newbie : )

I don't need a webtemplate I just want to edit the font. So, do you have any recomendations - if you may have a look on the font itself I'd be very happy and thankful for your evaluation which font editor would best here:

https://fontbundles.net/gleb-guralnyk/11579-tobacco-box-font-mockups-template#gtmList=5&gtmPos=1

Thank you

Simon

ps: I use macbook pro (2017) if this is an useful information.

39 minutes ago, SimonSing said:

I don't need a webtemplate I just want to edit the font.

When you say you want to "edit the font" do you mean you want to make a new version of the font or just change the appearance of a few letters here and there? If the former then I would say you need a Font Editor, if the latter then yes, with the caveat that you can't make a change to what letter is used. I mean you couldn't 'type' with it.

1565252135_ScreenShot2019-10-07at10_39_15AM.thumb.png.86367fe7c5cc6ffbd9212732823766ee.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

From the linked page:

Here's what's inside:

• OTF & TTF font files 
  • Two PSD Mockups of wooden cigar box (4500x3000 px)
  • Design template with decorative frame in AI, EPS & PSD
  • Vector EPS v.10 with all characters

It sounds as though you should have everything you need for editing the decorative frame and/or the individual characters, but not the font itself.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

38 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

just change the appearance of a few letters here and there

thank you very much for your vivid explanations and examples, Old Bruce, and thank you Alfred for your evaluation of the font. Since I want to do it like in the quoted wording above, I think I can buy the font with a clear conscience - would you agree?

have a nice evening