Frank Jonen

1.7.3 Still doesn't display documents from previous versions correctly

Nested Live Filters render incorrectly. Try it out. They seem to ignore the premultiplied alpha and render against a black background, then multiply the alpha.The destructive versions of the same filters don't do that.

Past documents still look a garish mess.

and selective color filter is broken as soon you change a value of the filter.

backward compability of affinity is hilarious >:(

I don‘t think they are interested in fixing it...

2 hours ago, Hanterdro said:

and selective color filter is broken as soon you change a value of the filter.

What do you mean by broken, for this case?

It is possible that the filter works differently in 1.7 than in 1.6, but is interpreted correctly if you simply open an older file. That would provide backward compatibility. However, if you change the filter values, you would be working with the new behavior.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

BTW… the workaround for not being able to sharpen layers anymore is:

1. Sharpen your layer
  2. Get selection from layer
  3. (in new layer) Fill selection with white
  4. (in new layer below) Fill entire layer with Black
  5. merge the two layers
  6. Sharpen with the same parameters as before
  7. Rasterise to Mask
  8. Assign mask to layer you wanted to sharpen previously

Nine steps for something that takes 1 click everywhere else. Now that's what I call progress.

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What do you mean by broken, for this case?

It is possible that the filter works differently in 1.7 than in 1.6, but is interpreted correctly if you simply open an older file. That would provide backward compatibility. However, if you change the filter values, you would be working with the new behavior.

exactly that‘s the issue.

the correct way would be use the old filter for files from 1.6 or convert the values to the new filter.

the current solution is just bad 

1 hour ago, Hanterdro said:

exactly that‘s the issue.

the correct way would be use the old filter for files from 1.6 or convert the values to the new filter.

the current solution is just bad 

They do use the old filter, until you make a change to it. Then they use the new filter.

That seems reasonable to me. What problem does it give you?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.676 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

They do use the old filter, until you make a change to it. Then they use the new filter.

That seems reasonable to me. What problem does it give you?

if you adjust the old filter a little everything is totally off, as soon as you move the slider.

practically you can‘t adjust 1.6 files in 1.7 with the color adjustment filter.

the reason is the use the new filter with the old values, because they are too lazy to auto convert the values of the old filter to the new one.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:02 PM, Frank Jonen said:

Nested Live Filters render incorrectly. Try it out. They seem to ignore the premultiplied alpha and render against a black background, then multiply the alpha.The destructive versions of the same filters don't do that.

Past documents still look a garish mess.

Hi @Frank Jonen,

Can you attach some sample files?

It looks like the Sharpening issue is casued by Metal. With Metal OFF, it all works fine. I've logged this with our developers. 

13 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Frank Jonen,

Can you attach some sample files?

It looks like the Sharpening issue is casued by Metal. With Metal OFF, it all works fine. I've logged this with our developers. 

Just created one for you. Also Metal on or off doesn't make a difference. All rendering options are messed up. Can't we just get version 1.6 with a compatibility mode for 1.7 files until you've sorted this out so the apps are usable again? 

Affinity Compatibility Errors.afphoto

Also this is forced upon me. I don't care for wasting cycles. Don't force options on the users that they do not want.

I want Nearest Neighbour filtering, not bilinear!It constantly keeps resetting itself. Very frustrating. 

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 23.50.40.png

In your example, you're using a pure white brush. Unsharp mask has never worked on just pure white (or pure black) pixels 1.6 either, so I can't see how it could break any previous documents. As before, if you have any 1.6 documents that were broken by 1.7, attach them and we can have a look :)