You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrap Doesn't Work?

SamMN

Brand new document; see screenshots. Am I missing something? I've seen a few previous posts on this issue (and it seemed that there was some issue with the Ignore Text Wrappings setting) but they were for the BETA last year and from the posts it seemed like it had been fixed?

Changing to 'Largest Side' and adjusting the Distance from Text doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

Edit: The first picture is the actual text frame, the second picture is of the wrap outline

Thanks!

Sam

Text box.png

Wrap outline.png

Wrap settings.png

It's just a new document with generic A4 settings. Issue happens every new document. It's just a freshly created text box with filler text, no style applied; arial font, regular, 12pt. Doesn't seem to matter if you adjust the wrap outline before or after the text is inserted. Running Publisher 1.7.3 on Mojave.

Example file attached.

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 12.21.41.png

text wrap.afpub

That is kind of wrong use of text wrap: In your .afpub the text wrap is assigned to the text frames, not the the picture frame, you want to get wrapped.

292816493_textwraplargeimage0.jpg.dbf6300b14645e77cdc86a721ce2b956.jpg

If you assign wrapping to your image frame all text disappears because it wraps around the complete image, which is larger than the text frames:

380729025_textwraplargeimage1.jpg.576e1d02e1bb163eba56668831596d95.jpg

If you want the text wrap around a part of the image you need to use an extra object for wrapping (e.g. a circle shape with no fill/stroke) – or adjust the wrap outline with the "Edit Wrap Outline" button:

1377480941_textwraplargeimage2.jpg.e6845c57b0ae08e1b414a2801a66006a.jpg

That enables you to make the text wrapping around any shape which is set for the image/picture frame. – As mentioned, in this case it might be easier to use an extra object for wrapping.

1264596740_textwraplargeimage3.jpg.fb93317112624fc16d9ae26a092d6ad9.jpg

23 minutes ago, haakoo said:

around a shape or a transparent area in picture but it will not wrap on just a jpg.

If there is no transparent area it will wrap the entire object, even if it's  just a jpg, too. Every object has an editable wrap outline.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

36 minutes ago, DSokolo2309 said:

When I begin to insert text into a page the "ignore text wrap" check box is automatically checked and greyed out so I cannot uncheck it. I have to do the text in Designer and it will wrap when I switch to Publisher. 

Possibly the setting got saved as text frame default. To get rid of it:

1. Create a text frame.
2. Uncheck that box (+ optionally do other settings to text or frame).
3. Select  Menu Edit > Defaults > Synchronize form Selection .
4. Select  Menu Edit > Defaults > Save .

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso is absolutely correct.  I did just that months ago, and it works flawlessly every single time I open a new document.  Ignore Text Wrap stays unchecked.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9