You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macbook Pro Basic Performance

Anyone able to point me in the right direction. I am trying to teach myself AP and continually frustrated by how long it takes for a basic hover over the icons to display. Its very difficult to learn a process and develop a workflow when you are uncertain what an icon means so you hover on it and wait. Sometimes it takes 6-8 seconds to tell me what the tool is. Is there something basic I am missing? I am working in the Develop Persona on a MacBook Pro running High Sierra.

Tooltip wait times can be set in Photo’s preferences.
Go to User Interface and slide the Tooltip Delay slider all the way over to the left for instant tooltips.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I would have never thought there would be a setting for that. You are amazing and saved me from allot of frustration. I have never seen an app where the tool labels are anything but instantaneous from a hover. Why would AP not default to instantaneous? Thank you for taking time to respond!

The behaviour from checking my iMac just now with the default setting is that the first time you move to a new group of buttons there is a delay of 1 to 1.5 seconds, tips for other buttons in that group then appear very quickly. Behaviour seems perfectly chosen.

Do you have other issues, not enough memory, too many applications running?

15 hours ago, jamesgerboc said:

I have never seen an app where the tool labels are anything but instantaneous from a hover. Why would AP not default to instantaneous?

Most Mac apps that I am familiar with that include tooltips have a built-in delay before they pop up. This is because otherwise they can be distracting and/or obscure something a user might want to see. That's probably why the Affinity default is not instantaneous -- after all, how many times do you need to see (for instance) the Move Tool tooltip pop up before you recognize it for what it is?

What's nice about making the delay adjustable is it can be set to be very short while learning the basics & gradually increased as the UI becomes more familiar.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you. I didnt realize and never noticed a delay in any other app. It makes sense to make it adjustable. While I struggled to learn the app with the delay, I can see how someone familiar with it would be distracted by an instantaneous tooltip. As for recognizing the icons, I am trying but they are very small. I like to hover and scan them up and down till I land on the right one. Hopefully, I will catch on soon. For someone who knows they want a "Healing Brush" and they think in that terminology, they likely dont want/need tooltips. But I am still thinking I want to blend the surroundings to cover a defect. I have to stop and think, Affinity calls that process "healing." Thanks for your kind reply. Good to know people can/will help.