You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export changes smart quote marks

LFGabel

Greetings,

I have run into a strange problem with regard to one of my fonts used in Publisher. For some reason which I can't explain, the smart quote characters (single and double) are being replaced upon export to PDF. The font in question is Zapf Humanist (all variants). To make sure it wasn't me screwing something up, I started a fresh Publisher document, added a text frame, and entered text, formatting for a half dozen fonts. Every font I tried looked as it should in the PDF export except Zapf Humanist.

The odd thing is everything looks fine in the application (see image). I thought that maybe a font was corrupted, but to have the error happen across all font files seems strange and unlikely to me.

Is this a bug or have I done something wrong? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

With thanks, Lee

Affinity Publisher 1.7.2
Windows 10 Home
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
16GB Memory
2TB HDD / 128GB SSD

Annotation 2019-09-26 100919.jpg

So I dug a little deeper and realized I had two versions of the ZapfHumanist font installed: One a True Type font from Corel (like Lagarto suggested) and one from a Bitstream font collection which identified as an Open Type font.

I removed the Bitstream Open Type font, reloaded Publisher, and all is working as it should now.

Pauls, I can upload the font, publisher doc and a PDF if you still require it. Just let me know.

Thanks for the help, but sorry for wasting everyone's time.

With thanks, Lee

Thanks for that insightful response, Lagarto. Thinking back, I believe I did convert a bunch of Type 1 fonts to True Type/Open Type. It was the Bitstream collection I referred to  previously. If I had been paying attention, I would have changed all their names to make them unique. I will file that tip away for later.

I'm glad things resolved themselves, and most importantly, that it wasn't a fault with Publisher! :)

With thanks,
Lee