You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappearing object nodes when moving guides

I reported this some time ago as a problem and was told that it was a bug. Has anything been done about it yet? Its becoming a real nuisance.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi jackamus :)

I've found the bug report and this is still with our developers to be fixed, unfortunately there's been no update at this time - my apologies.

I've bumped the thread now for you, hopefully this will be improved asap!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thanks at least I haven't missed it!

I would have thought that fixing bugs would given a priority over everything else!

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
2 hours ago, jackamus said:

I would have thought that fixing bugs would given a priority over everything else!

We base priority on the impact of the bug itself, and the amount of times reported - as the more critical or reported issues need to be fixed first.

This doesn't mean this issue isn't important to us, all bugs are equal in this respect, but it does mean some can take longer to fix than others - we'll be sure to update your original report when there is a developer update on the issue :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

OK

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

What do you mean by "disappearing object nodes"?  Are you referring to the selection box transform handles in the Move tool?  If so, they intentionally disappear while you are dragging guides, but the selection outline remains visible.  The guides will be snapping to the bound edges of the shapes, so the selection outline is more important than the Move tool control box which itself provides no snapping target and so is no more than visual clutter while position a guide.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I don't want the guides to just snap to the edges I also like them to snap to the handles?nodes.

Also they never used to do that in the previous version and I guess that is why it is logged as a bug!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

The guides have never snapped to the handles of the Move tool selection box - they only ever snapped to the bounding box of the objects.  Of course - mostly those are the same, but sometimes not.  So, seeing the handles is pointless - hence why they are hidden while dragging the guide.  The only thing that matters is the outline of the object, from which you can see its bounds.

This is nether a bug, or a missing feature - it is by design.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Wrong the only thing that matters to me is to see the handles when dragging a guide and that has ALWAYS been the case with AD until now. If you want a guide to be at right angles to the side of, say a rectangle then you nee3d to see the handle.

I really do not understand this! I have been using AD since it was first published and I do not ever remember the object handle disappearing whilst moving a guide to snap to it until this latest up[date. I'll give you a classic example that I frequently use, or used to - draw an ellipse quick shape and move two guides two snap to the 4 handlers. You can't? I have to juggle them near to a handle until they snap.

I can assure you that it was not always like this because I relied on it to produce accurate drawings. There would appears to be a conflict between what you are saying and what my experience tells me. This would appear to be an impasse!

Edited by jackamus
Extra comment at the begining.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Snapping to what handles??  Guides have never snapped to the control handles on the selection box - they are not part of the document, they are just blobs on the screen that you can grab to move and resize a layer.  Guides have only ever snapped to layer bounding boxes. And the layer bounding box will be tight to the outline of the selected layers, which is still visible while dragging a guide.

You may be thinking of the key points.  An ellipse will have four on its quadrant points - when dragging out a new ellipse these will be at the top, bottom, left and right of the ellipse - coincidental to where the mid edge control handles will appear on the selection box.

Try turning "Snap to shape key points" on....

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Already had and they still disappear when I move a guide to the key point.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Yes - the selection box and it's blobs disappear.  It doesn't affect your ability to snap to the object bounds (including its mid points), or any key points.  Snapping to this stuff is not dependant on the object being selected - that depends on your snapping candidate settings.

So - the only thing you've really lost, which you seem to find important, is the visual cue of where the middle of the object is from the selection box points, since what you thought you were snapping to is not actually the thing you are really snapping to - you've been snapping to something that happened to be in the same position as the selection box handles.  Is that right?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ever since I have been using AD I have always used the ellipse quadrant point to snap guides to WITHOUT them disappearing. It make difference to me if this snapping was to some other feature on the object.  As a retired technical illustrator using these axix points as I would call them, the were essential to draw accurately and have I produced many, many technical type drawings over the years.

Also if, as you say, AD has always been like this then why would I flag it up as bug. This 'bug' was also confirmed by others.

The only way for this to be resolved to my satisfaction is to recreate the situation in an older version of AD. Can I download an older version of AD to prove it one way or another?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Seriously - I wrote the snapping system, so I can say with 100% confidence that we NEVER snapped to the control handles on the selection box.  You were either snapping to the key points on the ellipse circumference, or the mid line of the bounding box of the shape.

You can still accurately snap to these positions.  That is no different - so I am not sure what it is you cannot do exactly.  If I drag out a new ellipse - I can still snap to those key points, and the bounding box and midline.  Just as accurate, and still works perfectly fine as far as I can see.

When you talk about drawing accurately - the snapping system is still as accurate as it ever was - in some places 1.7 is more accurate than 1.6.

Provide a video or something - I think your problem is your understanding of how snapping is working or how you are trying to use the tools.

Who else has "confirmed" this bug...?  Your explanation so far just indicates that you were using the selection box handles as a visual cue - whether you understood that was what was happening or not.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I don't doubt for a minute that you know what you are talking about, your credentials are impeccable!

The fact that the guides snap to something other than what I believed is immaterial - to me it looked like they were snapping to the control handles. What mattered to me is that I believed all along that they were snapping to the control handles ever since I first used AD. Then when I updated to the latest version the control handles then started tyo disappeared when I moved a guide. That is the difference regardless of what snaps to what.

Are you saying that in all the older versions the control handles still disappeared when moving a guide and that somehow I've forgotten it?

Also in the current version when I want to snap a guide to, say a control point on an circle, I couldn't be sure that it did if there was another object with a snapping point almost coincident with guide because the control handle disappeared and I couldn't tell! To get round this I would have to zoom in to do it or turn off snapping and do it manually. I do not remember ever having to do this in older versions!

What about my suggestion of checking it against an older version?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

On 9/20/2019 at 6:46 PM, jackamus said:

What about my suggestion of checking it against an older version?

I would like to be able to check out a previous version just for my own satisfaction. Can this be arranged?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I believe I purchased it directly from Serif the day it was first published.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

I've searched our database for your name and email Jack and unfortunately I can't find a purchase, meaning you've likely bought the app through the Mac App Store.

There's no way to roll back versions, however the trial of an older version may work for your purposes. Please visit the following link and download any of the older versions, once installed you should be offered to start a 10 day trial where you can test this behaviour.

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/designer/1/

I recommend renaming the version of Designer you already have installed, perhaps to 'Affinity Designer MAS' as to not confuse the installs.

Thanks Dan. I did as you suggested and renamed my existing AD and then downloaded 1.6.5 and it confirms what I have been saying all along. The object bounding box and its control points do not disappear when moving  a guide.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

No problem :)

Could you provide a screen recording of this for us please? I'll attach it to the development log and request further information for you - as required.

I've never made a recording like this before - can tell me how to do it please? Sorry about that.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Of course I can! You can use Quicktime to record your screen, which is preloaded on all Macs. Please see the following link for information here -https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/qtp97b08e666/mac

I'm being told that my trial period of AD 1.6.5 has expired! I thought I was going to get 10 days!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

How very strange - so the trial was working for you, but now has stopped? That's not something I've heard of before!

Was the trial version restarted to show this message? Did you launch the retail version, or change the time/date on your Mac?