Jump to content
feklee

Trim and place pictures side by side in picture frame?

Recommended Posts

I have two pictures that I want to trim a bit and place side by side in a picture frame. The picture frame is defined on the master page, and I don't want to touch it.

Can this operation be done all from inside Publisher? Does switching to another persona help? Or do I need to do the composition externally using Affinity Photo or Designer?

(not sure if I posted this in the right forum)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Place one of the photos in a picture frame and use the Photo Persona (assuming that you have Affinity Photo installed). There you can add the second picture and do additional editing. Once you're done, return to the Publisher Persona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

There you can add the second picture and do additional editing.

Sounds good, but how do I add a second picture in the photo persona? If I use File / Place..., then I can load a photo, but it will replace the photo already in the picture frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wosven said:

You can also use 2 rectangles in which you insert your images.

How do I insert the rectangles into the picture frame? I know I could draw them on top of the picture frame, but then if I move the picture frame in the master, the position of the rectangles won't get updated, which is pretty bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, feklee said:

Sounds good, but how do I add a second picture in the photo persona? If I use File / Place..., then I can load a photo, but it will replace the photo already in the picture frame.

You can just drag & drop the picture into the file you're working on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, feklee said:

How do I insert the rectangles into the picture frame? I know I could draw them on top of the picture frame, but then if I move the picture frame in the master, the position of the rectangles won't get updated, which is pretty bad.

Wosven means that you can also use two picture frames instead of one, place them side by side and trim/crop them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You can just drag & drop the picture into the file you're working on. 

If I drag the second picture into the picture frame (where I want to have it), then that replaces the first picture. Note that I need both pictures to be in the picture frame. Otherwise, they don't get moved when I move the frame in the master.

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Wosven means that you can also use two picture frames instead of one, place them side by side and trim/crop them.

OK, but that's not a solution. The picture frame is in the master. It repeats on several pages, and any content should be possible to be inserted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hilltop said:

What about compositing the two images in Photo, export the result and then place it in your Publisher file?

Yes, that option was what I thought about when I wrote:

3 hours ago, feklee said:

Or do I need to do the composition externally using Affinity Photo or Designer?

It's totally OK, especially as it's possible to place .afphoto files into a Publisher document. I just wanted to see if I'm missing something and if there is a simpler / quicker way. Now I only need to decide between Photo and Designer. ;)

@Hilltop, @Wosven Thanks for all the suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, feklee said:

If I drag the second picture into the picture frame (where I want to have it), then that replaces the first picture. Note that I need both pictures to be in the picture frame. Otherwise, they don't get moved when I move the frame in the master.

Don't drag&drop the image onto the other image but next to it. Then move it with the Move tool. You can resize both pictures by double-clicking on them. Once you're done, you can group the two pictures and return to the Publisher Persona. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Don't drag&drop the image onto the other image but next to it.

You mean place it next to it outside the picture frame? Then how do I get both pictures back into the picture frame?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps good to just do a little trial & error. You drag & drop the second image away from the image in the picture frame to prevent it from replacing it. Then you can move it over the first image which you can resize by double-clicking it. Once you have satisfactorily positioned both images within the boundaries of the picture frame, group the picture frame and the second image. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Once you have satisfactorily positioned both images within the boundaries of the picture frame, group the picture frame and the second image. 

Grouping a picture with a picture frame on a master doesn't work, at least for me. Anyhow, I have it done now in a separate document created with Designer, which appears to be the better choice than Photo in this case because of the vector cropping tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×