You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Document with mixed colour spaces

Hi experts,

I'm working on a tricky document in Publisher that requires me to set up some pages with grayscale text & imagery + spot colour and some pages with CMYK imagery / placed content + spot colour.

Now I've exported my document and got feedback from the printer that the whole document is CMYK. I realized that it is, because I selected it to convert everything to the document's profile when exporting to PDF which is CMYK.

Is there an easy way to configure some pages to export as grayscale + spot colour and some other ones to export as CMYK + spot colour?

2 hours ago, Thomas Ebert said:

that requires me to set up some pages with grayscale text & imagery + spot colour
(...)
Is there an easy way to configure some pages to export as grayscale + spot colour

If you set up as requested than you can export all pages with the preset "for print" (with Spot colors selected in the "More" options).

If you have ignored the greyscale request during layout then you need to fix the objects which shall be greyscale and make them using no CMY or RGB but K only.
You can achieve that either by assigning K only colors / using the K only button for color images / or by applying the Black and White adjustment.
All this three options are not "an easy way" if you want to keep brightness+contrast accordingly to their colored appearance. Especially the K only button for images might produce unwanted results.

A compromise without changing your document would be to export as grayscale with an according greyscale profile (not: D 50). The disadvantage is that you get the complete PDF in grayscale (colored pages, too) and the spot colors look grey, though they are still on their own spot color channels. That means with this quick & dirty compromise (no change in the layout file) you have no influence on brightness+contrast in greys and, if you need all pages in 1 PDF, more work afterwards by combining the colored and the greyscale pages of your two PDFs. The grey look of spot colors is not necessarily an issue if your printer is able to print them with their according ink, therefore it might be necessary to have them named correctly (in case of self made swatches not from the default PANTONE palette).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

Especially the K only button for images might produce unwanted results.

Das stimmt. Weil ich ähnliche Anforderungen habe, nur ohne Sonderfarbe, habe ich mich schon eingehend mit der S/W-Problematik befasst. Auf Grund deiner Aussage habe ich eben folgendes probiert:

In der Ebenenpalette für ein RGB-Farb-Bild die SW-Einstellung gewählt, die Grauwerte des Bildes nach Wunsch eingestellt und dann die Überraschung: Die S/W-Einstellung verschiebt das Bild automatisch in K. Hätte ich nicht erwartet.

Ich wechsle während der Arbeit öfter mal über den Studio-Link in Photo, um in den Kanälen die Farbverteilung zu kontrollieren. Das spart den Export zu Kontrollzwecken.

DeepL translation for the rest of the world: :)
That's right. Because I have similar requirements, only without special color, I have already dealt in detail with the b/w problem. Based on your statement I tried the following:

In the layer palette for an RGB color image, I selected the SW setting, set the gray values of the image as desired and then the surprise: The B/W setting automatically shifts the image to K. I wouldn't have expected that.

During my work I often switch to Photo via the studio link to control the color distribution in the channels. This saves the export for control purposes.

Thanks to DeepL.

5 hours ago, Palatino said:

the surprise: The B/W setting automatically shifts the image to K.

While both the K-only button and B&W adjustment work quite well for RGB images by default, unfortunately with CMYK images they work very different: they kind of ignore CMY but reduce the image to its K channel only. That makes K-only useless for CMYK and demands fine tuning for its B&W adjustment.

That way for CMYK both corrections result in a totally different look than the same object in RGB.    v408 greyscale – cmyk vs rgb.pdf

385676728_v408greyscalecmykvsrgb.thumb.jpg.e68c37b5d7ba17d0f8cb0daa5c809b29.jpg

5 hours ago, Palatino said:

I often switch to Photo via the studio link to control the color distribution in the channels. This saves the export for control purposes.

No need to switch app. – For B&W adjustment you may also use the controllers of its layer in AfPub.

Dass „Nur K“ mit Farbbildern meist keine schönen Ergebnisse produziert, habe ich doch mit meinem ersten Satz bestätigt. Mir ging es einzig und allein um die überraschende Tatsache, dass die S/W-Einstellung das Bild in den Schwarzkanal verschiebt. Wie ich jetzt getestet habe, geht das auch mit CMYK-Bildern.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

No need to switch app

Wo zeigt Publisher die CMYK-Kanäle?

Thanks to DeepL.

39 minutes ago, Palatino said:

dass die S/W-Einstellung das Bild in den Schwarzkanal verschiebt. Wie ich jetzt getestet habe, geht das auch mit CMYK-Bildern.

Nein, für CMYK leider eben nicht (bzw. relativ unbrauchbar). Denn bei Anwendung auf CMYK werden CMY nicht zu K verschoben, sondern CMY werden quasi ignoriert.
Siehe Anhänge oben und vgl. dort jeweils die Farbspektren am rechten Bildrand – gegenüber der ausgewogenen Verschiebung bei RGB Bildern ist sie bei CMYK eher nicht vorhanden und daher wertlos.

Das gilt übrigens nicht nur für Bilder sondern auch für alle möglichen Objekte, denen beim Layouten CMYK Farben zugewiesen wurden: bei Farben ohne Schwarzanteil ergibt die B&W-Umwandlung zunächst nur Weiß und muss, anders als bei RGB-Farben, in den B&W-Einstellungen manuell angepasst werden.

Wenn es in deinem Versuch besser geklappt hat, liegt das eventuell an einem bereits hohen K-Anteil deiner CMYK Test-Objekte.

39 minutes ago, Palatino said:

Wo zeigt Publisher die CMYK-Kanäle?

In den Einstellungen bei der Farbumwandlung durch B&W Adjustment. Nicht als CMYK, sondern als 6 Farbkanäle (mit visuellen Live-Abgleich der Wirkung aufs Bild).

2020053187_BWadjustmentoptions.jpg.28a35d8af9de81dce6b4fec5805a2f3e.jpg

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Nein, für CMYK leider eben nicht …

Dein eigenes PDF bestätigt meinen Satz.

Translate: Your own PDF confirms my sentence.

That a high-quality black-and-white conversion is not an automatism is another story.

Thanks to DeepL.

2 hours ago, Palatino said:

Dein eigenes PDF bestätigt meinen Satz.

Wie das denn? Kannst du mir eine Stelle markieren?

In folgenden Screenshot zeigen die Magenta markierten Bildstellen die Anwendung von K-only bzw. B&W adjustment auf CMYK. Grün markiert für RGB. – Es ist offensichtlich, dass bei den CMYK Motiven die nicht-schwarzen Bildteile, also CMY, hier fast weiß bleiben, während sie bei RGB durch die Verschiebung nach K nicht weiß sind, sondern dem farbigen Bild in Helligkeit und Kontrast relativ gut entsprechen. Bei CMYK dagegegen müssen die Farben manuell "verschoben" werden, weil dessen CMY-Anteile, im Unterschied zu RGB, eben NICHT by default verschoben wurden. Bei CMYK kann man den K-only button hier sogar komplett vergessen.

880686486_v408greyscalecmykvsrgbKopie.thumb.jpg.9e379285c61df11aaad11b9f636b7a34.jpg

Die Frage am Anfang war doch: Wie bekomme ich die Graustufen auf die schwarze Druckplatte.

Antwort: Manchmal genügt schon die Taste „Nur K“, ansonsten schiebt die Ebenen-Anpassung „Schwarzweiß“ das Objekt komplett auf die Schwarze Druckplatte. Der Ästhet wird der Schönheit noch etwas mit Reglern nachhelfen.

Dein Diskussionspunkt ist doch eigentlich nur theoretischer Natur, weil im Grunde jeder die Farben auf das schwarzweiße Erscheinungsbild anpasst. Am Ende geht es um die schwarzweiße Anmutung, ob zu der C oder M oder Y etwas oder nichts beigetragen haben, ist doch völlig irrelevant.

Nichtsdestotrotz: deine Anpassung rechts unten ist unter dem Gesichtspunkt der Farbneutralität absolut gelungen.

Thanks to DeepL.

13 minutes ago, Palatino said:

Der Ästhet wird der Schönheit noch etwas mit Reglern nachhelfen.
(...)
ob zu der C oder M oder Y etwas oder nichts beigetragen haben, ist doch völlig irrelevant. 

Dass das Farbspektrum im o.g. CMYK Bild mit K-only und B&W als fast nur Weiß umgewandelt wird, scheinst du immer noch zu übersehen. Das heißt: K-only entällt für CMYK Bilder definitiv und B&W adjustment MUSS manuell angepasst werden, um überhaupt etwas zu zeigen aus dem CMY Anteil des Bildes.

Test: Lege dir 3 Farbflächen an mit je 1 CMY Farbe (also ohne K). Lege darüber ein B&W adjustment. Das Ergebnis sind drei weiße Farbflächen.
Jetzt MUSS "der Ästhet" ran, weil die CMY Anteile eben keineswegs "völlig irrelevant" sind.

Die Diskussion zwischen uns beiden entstand vermutlich, weil ich aus der Frage des TO noch "Is there an easy way" im Kopf hatte, während du schon positiv überrascht warst, dass damit überhaupt was geht. Da bei B&W adjustment im Fall von CMYK eine manuelle Anpassung erfolgen MUSS (damit mehr als nur Weiß entsteht) halte ich den Weg nicht für "easy" im Sinn von 1-click oder Export-As.

Deinen Test brauche ich gar nicht zu machen, weil ich weiß, dass du recht hast und das Ergebnis finde ich sogar toll.

41 minutes ago, thomaso said:

… während du schon positiv überrascht warst, dass damit überhaupt was geht. Da bei B&W adjustment im Fall von CMYK eine manuelle Anpassung erfolgen MUSS (damit mehr als nur Weiß entsteht) halte ich den Weg nicht für "easy" im Sinn von 1-click oder Export-As.

Auch damit hast du recht, nur dass ich darin kein Problem sehe. Ehrlich, ich freue mich, dass ich mir im Falle einer Integration irgendwelcher Fotos auf den SW-Seiten meiner aktuellen Broschüre jegliche vorhergehende Bearbeitung und Konvertierung sparen kann. Einfach ein Foto auf die Seite werfen, SW-Anpassung aktivieren und ich kann mir sicher sein, keine Farbreste auf den Farbdruckplatten mehr zu finden. Dass die SW-Prozedur so einfach ist, war mir nicht bewusst. Ich kann mir künftig das Hantieren mit Graustufen-Druckprofilen sparen.

Noch ein Gedanke zu deiner CMYK-Anpassung: die muss man im Grunde nur einmal machen, dann kann man sie für alle anderen gleichartigen Bilder einfach kopieren. Also wenn das nicht einfach ist … :D

Thanks to DeepL.

Thanks for your comments!

Funnily enough the images are not really my problem, because they're already in black and white and have been adjusted for printing ;)

I'm wondering, is the "K only" button only showing when Photo is installed or is it not showing for me because of my miniature screen resolution? o.O

I didn't realize that I can create color swatches in two ways. If I select edit on my (now) CMYK text colors (all grays), in the colour picker I then change to "grayscale", then I place the cursor in the gray percentage field, hit return and then create a swatch colour from that, it shows as black and white colour... Don't know if that makes any difference in output, though. I used the format option of search and replace to replace all text colors accordingly.

I guess, now I still need a trial version of Acrobat to see if everything's exporting fine...

27 minutes ago, Thomas Ebert said:

is the "K only" button only showing when Photo is installed

It also exists for Publisher only users. But it only appears if an image resource is selected, not for shape/line/text objects. In case your screen is to small you will get a double arrow >> at the toolbars right edge. Also you can edit the tool bar to place the button where you like it.

31 minutes ago, Thomas Ebert said:

If I select edit on my (now) CMYK text colors (all grays), in the colour picker I then change to "grayscale", then I place the cursor in the gray percentage field, hit return and then create a swatch colour from that, it shows as black and white colour...

Be aware that the greyscale YOU want to achieve is K only – whereas the greys you can get in that "grayscale" picker/slider is offering the hole spectrum at saturation = 0. Instead you must use a CMYK slider view + set values > 0 only in its K channel.

You don't need to create new swatches, you can alter the existing if you like. Also be aware that the predefined gray  palette swatches are not K only.

You can check in both color and swatches panels the K only property of a color if you choose the CMYK color model selector view from the panels pulldown menu.

1 hour ago, Thomas Ebert said:

I guess, now I still need a trial version of Acrobat to see if everything's exporting fine...

Makeshift alternative: studio panel >> Photo >> channels (extremely helpful)

Thanks to DeepL.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all of you for your tips & tricks.

In the end the only issue was that I ticked `Convert to document's profile` on my first export. I spend a few hours, converting colors, changing stuff – but once I inspected the file in Acrobat I saw that I screwed it up even more. (I used the print production preview to get the picker that can tell you all the color layers underneath your cursor – that could be a really nice feature, I don't know if `channels` can do the same.) 

So after reverting everything, converting a few color images by using the `Black & White` filter (heads up: this filter rasterizes the layers underneath it on export) and inspecting again everything was suddenly fine and I could resend the file.

Thanks again for our helpful discussion :-)