You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Image on top affected by image underneath

Windows 10.  AfPub 171.

Do not know why this happens.   When I place an image on top of another image, in this case seagulls on top of a lightly toned image, the top image acts like a window, the underneath layer affects the top layer.  I have done nothing to command this at all, theoretically I would never have expected this.  I used the Place CMD in both cases, no alterations have been made inside publisher.

First screen shot shows the iayer as it should be, the second when placed on top of another image. The change is most noticeable with the bird on the right.  In the past I have simply used an adjustment layer to bring back the colours, but I do not think I should have to do this.  The top image should never be affected by an image underneath unless one reduces opacity - as is standard practise.  Thankyou.  

Capture.JPG.db3a3cdc9074581b13d83de398857765.JPG       Capture01.JPG.816da93023b56f35cff110e101c6d93e.JPG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

It would help to have a .zipped copy of your seagull image and the background image to experiment with.

However, lacking that, I will make a guess that your seagull image has some transparency. For example, at a minimum the areas around the seagulls that appear white must be transparent, or your background image could not show through on the composite on the right. And, presumably, the gulls themselves are at least partially transparent, unless you painted with 100% opacity at all times.

Anyplace that is less than 100% opaque will allow the background to show through, and therefore if the background is a different color than white the semi-transparent colors in the gulls will be affected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

However, lacking that, I will make a guess that your seagull image has some transparency. For example, at a minimum the areas around the seagulls that appear white must be transparent, or your background image could not show through on the composite on the right. And, presumably, the gulls themselves are at least partially transparent, unless you painted with 100% opacity at all times.

Anyplace that is less than 100% opaque will allow the background to show through, and therefore if the background is a different color than white the semi-transparent colors in the gulls will be affected.

Yes Walt, , I went back to the original file to take another look, Logic states that this is what is happening, but I see nothing here that can promote this in publisher.  I will have to figure this one out since it certainly can not be Publisher's fault. I will download the original and replace and see what happens.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi Walt and Murfee,  Solved.  Completely missed the fact that I exported this image (due to its small size) as a PNG (24 colours only). All my images regardless in all documents are Tiffs.  But this one and only one is PNG.  The original is far more colourful:)  I really thought I had a problem with common sense, but now I realise it was simply - memory!.... not noticing the file extension.