(1) Not sure this is a bug or not, but I'm unable to boolean merge (add) the 2 curves in the attached document. It doesn't work directly and it doesn't work via compound. I simply get an empty result set after an operation (both curves disappear from screen.) For some reason going to the "Layer" menu the "Expand Strokes" option is offered for both curves, even strokes are disabled… feels a bit odd too.

I remember that there was/is some issue with the smart nodes, so I made sure to select all points and convert them to the normal ones ("Smooth"), but this didn't solve the problem either.

(2) Unrelated to the actual boolean failure: if there's some sort of error Affinity Designer should report them (pop up the assistant and let me know the operation failed or something). Basically it just fails silently. In a more complex situation I might entirely miss the problem and then run in problems later when I notice a graphical element is suddenly missing for some reason. Let the user know there was an error.

Bug,1.afdesign

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 7.41.49 PM.png

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

@tokai Boolean add should be able to merge these curves

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

10 minutes ago, Arceom said:

Problem was this part of the shape was not closed. Click "Close curve" and it will work.

In this case feedback from AD is key. 

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

Indeed, closing the curve (or rather deleting all that mess) fixed the boolean operation (not sure what strange zig-zag curve Designer generated there anyway… the legs where expanded strokes originally. ;) ) The application definitely should inform the user about things like that. I was completely in the dark here about the actual issue. :ph34r: 

This was just some funny nonsense project I made, but if this would have been an important work project where I depended on a single curve I probably would have cursed like mad at the screen. :D

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot