Jump to content

Safe to upgrade to 1.7


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

First straightforward to the question: I have bought both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, version to 1.6.1. I see there are update for both. Since both the icons are changed, I assume this is a big upgrade instead of general update.

Usually I google a lot to see if the upgrade is stable. Currently I am busy with some deadlines, but I am also soooo exciting (curious) about the upgrade, therefore I post a thread here, to see if I could click the upgrade button in App store without worrying about the app's functions/stability etc.

I also didn't upgrade the OS X to the latest... (was about to google as well), my operation system is macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. Also a bit thank you if you could tell me if the version Mojave worth the effort.

Once again thank you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, shizuka said:

Currently I am busy with some deadlines

Don't do it just yet

There are a few problems with the 1.7 release which are being addressed in some betas.  I would wait until that has been completed.

I currently have the official 1.6, 1.7 and 1.7 beta versions on my PC but I had to plan that in advance rather than just upgrading to 1.7 when it was released.

Not sure about MACs but there may be a way to also get 1.6 and 1.7 installed as separate applications, someone else may be able to advise further regarding this.

 

 

 

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now was our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I had to plan that in advance

 Good move, Carl. So much better than trying to plan retrospectively! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.10 • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.10 • Designer for iPad 1.10 • iPadOS 15.5 (iPad Air 2)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Don't do it just yet

There are a few problems with the 1.7 release which are being addressed in some betas.  I would wait until that has been completed.

I currently have the official 1.6, 1.7 and 1.7 beta versions on my PC but I had to plan that in advance rather than just upgrading to 1.7 when it was released.

Not sure about MACs but there may be a way to also get 1.6 and 1.7 installed as separate applications, someone else may be able to advise further regarding this.

 

 

 

Many thanks!

Ok, I'll keep an eye on the upcoming fix and eventually a stable version!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, shizuka said:

Hello, 

Thanks for your advise in July. It has been three months, is now safe to upgrade to the latest version of the new Designer and Photo? 

Thank you in advance :)

I have upgraded to v. 1.7.3 — the latest in both Photo and Designer and they are working beautifully with Sierra.   I have no plans to upgrade to either High Sierra (until I have to) or to Mohave.   


24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Big Sur v. 11.6.5.  Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Big Sur v. 11.6.5.   Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5
21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display MacOS High Sierra v. 10.13.6.  Memory 8 GB, 1TB Fusion Drive: Affinity Publisher 1.8.4, Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 15.6); Apple pencil.  Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, 1.7.3 appears to be a lot more stable

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now was our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, jmwellborn and carl123! I'm going to upgrade right now, can't wait to see the new version :) :) :)

13 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I have no plans to upgrade to either High Sierra (until I have to) or to Mohave.   

Hi jmwellborn, may I ask why you stay with Sierra? I just checked my MBP, it's High Sierra 10.13.6. I remember I was directly from Mavericks to High Sierra, otherwise it was very limited to work together with my iPhone and iPad... if I'm already with High Sierra, is it better to upgrade to Mohave? Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shizuka said:

Thank you, jmwellborn and carl123! I'm going to upgrade right now, can't wait to see the new version :) :) :)

Hi jmwellborn, may I ask why you stay with Sierra? I just checked my MBP, it's High Sierra 10.13.6. I remember I was directly from Mavericks to High Sierra, otherwise it was very limited to work together with my iPhone and iPad... if I'm already with High Sierra, is it better to upgrade to Mohave? Thank you!

I am not the right person to ask about upgrading to Mohave.  All I know is that some time ago, when I was speaking with Apple tech support about a completely different issue, I asked whether it was smart to upgrade to Mohave when Sierra was working so well for me.  I was definitely advised against it.  Eventually, when Apple stops supporting it with Safari updates, I suppose I will have to upgrade to High Sierra (which will still be supported for a few years) but until then I am working with a desktop that handles everything with ease and without glitches.  


24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Big Sur v. 11.6.5.  Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Big Sur v. 11.6.5.   Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5
21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display MacOS High Sierra v. 10.13.6.  Memory 8 GB, 1TB Fusion Drive: Affinity Publisher 1.8.4, Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 15.6); Apple pencil.  Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I am not the right person to ask about upgrading to Mohave.  All I know is that some time ago, when I was speaking with Apple tech support about a completely different issue, I asked whether it was smart to upgrade to Mohave when Sierra was working so well for me.  I was definitely advised against it.  Eventually, when Apple stops supporting it with Safari updates, I suppose I will have to upgrade to High Sierra (which will still be supported for a few years) but until then I am working with a desktop that handles everything with ease and without glitches.  

Thank you jmwellborn :) I'm also fine with High Sierra at the moment, so i'm going to stay with it. The only inconvenience is it doesn't work with my AirPods 2 at all.

I tried to avoid put myself into a situation that after upgrading things do not work properly then I have to google a lot either to fix it or upgrade other apps accordingly or even to downgrade it. It happened once during my thesis writing, my pc windows automatically upgraded to windows 10... don't want to experience the stress anymore :4_joy: Thanks for sharing your point of view!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.