You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reproducible crash on switching from text tool to move tool

I’ve tried several times. Always the same behaviour:

I draw an Textbox on my layout and insert a text that is too long for the textbox. When I click outside the frame with still the text tool active and switch then to move tool – no problem; all works fine.

But when I switch to the move tool directly after inserting the text with overflow then instantly Publisher crashes. Does the textbox show the complete text then there’s no crash.

(Sorry for my bad English – it’s not my native language)

1 hour ago, udrabo said:

But when I switch to the move tool directly after inserting the text with overflow then instantly Publisher crashes. Does the textbox show the complete text then there’s no crash.

That's strange. I can't reproduce that on my computer.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

OK – now I have installed Publisher on a second mac. And there I cannot reproduce the crash.

Very strange! The mac with the problem is a brand new machine with a clean install. The only thing is, that I’ve installed a couple of pdf editors during the last days for checking some things with regard to Publisher.

Well, I have to look what’s going wrong on my MacBook Pro.

48 minutes ago, Seneca said:

That's strange. I can't reproduce that on my computer.

Thank you Seneca for your reply. That helped me finding out that it’s a problem only on my system/configuration/mac.

30 minutes ago, Pauls said:

@udraboThere's a chance it could be font related - could you upload the font used on the crashing machine and your document to here and we'll try and recreate the issue.

Well, it’s the standard Arial Font. I’ve tried with texts from various sources. In existing documents as well as in newly created ones. So it’s not a specific document or text.
And in the meantime I’ve also tried to use another font. Same thing!

I’ve reinstalled Publisher (after deleting app, preferences and Publisher’s Application Support Folder) – still the same problem.

Tonight I’ll try it starting the ‚crashing machine‘ from a clean new system that I have on an external drive. I’ll refer afterwards …

Thank you Pauls for your suggestion. In the meantime I have found the troublemaker. FontExplorer X Pro showed a bunch of problems with fonts. Clearing system and application font caches did not solve the problem. So last night I went the hard way and made a new clean install – and this time without FontExplorer letting compose the fonts and settings for the transfer to the new installed OS.

And … tataaah … in Germany we say "Das Problem ist jetzt Geschichte" (literally translated "The problem now is history") …

The only thing left is to finish my configuration of the mac without causing this or similar problems again. :D