You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to disable spell checker in a particular text field?

I'd like to disable the Publisher spell checker on some textfields with addresses and stuff like that, while leaving the spelling check on for fields like the body of the letter.

So I put the Dutch language in the base style and all the substyles to inherit that base-style. In the paragraph styles I use in fields where I don't want the spellchecker to work I set the language to 'none' to turn off the spelling check.

But to my surprise, eventhough Affinity doesn't have a language anymore to check on, still it shows red understripes on those fields to indicate language mistakes. So it could be that it now marks everyword as not being right.

Now I'm not sure if it's impossible to turn off spelling for a paragraph style or that maybe this is a bug I'm facing here, or perhaps I am missing something here.

Anybody here perhaps knows if there is a way to disable spell checker in a paragraph style?
(I don't have a character style applied on top btw)

image.png.ad330683de1c01a5c7135e6b33011e92.png

You might have to change it in a Character style too.

Check that the menu Text > Spelling > Check Spelling While Typing is off too

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Good thought, but it was not needed in an experiment I just did. I defined two styles based on Base. One with [No Change] for the spelling language and one with None.

Text formatted with the one that uses None does not get the red underlines; text formatted with the other one does get them.

@wigglepixel: Can you provide a sample .afpub file that demonstrates the problem you're having?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Check that the menu Text > Spelling > Check Spelling While Typing is off too

Thanks for your reply @Old Bruce. I don't have Character styles applied to those parts so I can keep Characters styles for things like 'Strong' and 'Hyperlink' inside. I know about the toggle to turn on or off spelling check, but it turns it off for every frame, and I'd like to keep some frames (the content text) checking.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Good thought, but it was not needed in an experiment I just did. I defined two styles based on Base. One with [No Change] for the spelling language and one with None.

Text formatted with the one that uses None does not get the red underlines; text formatted with the other one does get them.

@wigglepixel: Can you provide a sample .afpub file that demonstrates the problem you're having?

Thanks for doing that experiment @walt.farrell. I just tried it again in a new file, exactly as I did it yesterady, and it works exactly as expected now. Not sure why.

So I opened the file I worked on yesterday again now and without changing a thing it works with that file too now: no more red stripes under the parts where I switched the language to 'none'. And also if I now change other paragraph styles to language 'none' the red lines disappear as expected.

That's odd. Because yesterday the red underlining wouldn't go away whatever I did and they were there when I left the file. Yesterday I did some things to hopefully refresh the interface (to update the lines to dissapear). Even closed Publisher and opened it up again in the hope to refresh the spelling lines, but even that didn't work. The red lines stayed. 

But today suddenly the red lines are gone while just opening the file... not sure why. Feels like a refresh-thing. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your help guys!