You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wishlist: Non-printing color?

Hey guys! I'm sure you're very busy with the final release of Publisher in a couple weeks and squashing bugs in Photo and Designer, and I know this may be a bit of an edge case, but I was converting some files over from InDesign into the Publisher beta for now, and I had a request ...

Unless I'm missing it somewhere … Is there a way to define a color or style as "non-printing" so it will show up on-screen as you work (for notes, guides, etc.) but will not show up when you print to the printer or export to a print format? If not, could we add that to the someday-down-the-road wishlist? :)

Thanks so much! Good luck!
-john

But registration colour exists to be printed – normally on every used colour form. It is needed to print, for example, registration and crop marks in every colour. You can add the registration colour to your swatches palette by using the small flyout menu top right to the swatches

Non printing elements normally are achieved by creating a new layer group, placing the elements, which aren’t supposed to be printed into it, and set this layer invisible before output.

38 minutes ago, Cooner said:

Is there a way to define a color or style as "non-printing" so it will show up on-screen as you work (for notes, guides, etc.) but will not show up when you print to the printer or export

This doesn't exist yet, like it is not possible yet to set "non-printable" as an objects property.

There is an easy workaround: create on a master page an object for your notes or draw guides and assign that master to pages where you need it. To edit the note or guide on a dcoument page use "Edit Detached". When it goes to print or export then you just need to set those layers to invisible on that master only – and they also disappear on the document pages, even if edited there.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1