You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Width Profile … Deregulation? Freedom? Options?

Hello all,

I've found the pressure profile feature in AD, but for some reason the feature doesn't allow for linear changes between values, except in profiles that have only a start and end point.  Additionally, it doesn't allow the width of each side of a stroke to be changed independently of the other.

Alas, this means that what might be boiled down to simple strokes (eyelashes or lips, for instance) must be formed of curves.  Also alas, this means that editing such shapes must necessarily be more convoluted and less precise, especially because the profile must be modified in a separate editor, away from the artwork, which adds guesswork, and again more time and effort, into the equation. 

So I would like to propose a more flexible pressure/width profile feature, which allows pressure profiles to be edited directly on strokes, to allow curves and corner points — now that I think about it, a vector brush system would do as well.

So I'm putting these forward: a more versatile stroke width feature, and vector brushes.

Thanks,

—Russ Johnson

Murfreesboro, TN

—Russ Jonson

Still and video design, logos, branding, and more 

RussDoes.com

… it doesn't allow the width of each side of a stroke to be changed independently of the other.

Hi Russ, just Alt-click on the start or end point of the pressure profile graph for independent changes …  

And a rudimentary vector brush system is there as well … See Help > Affinity Designer Help > Vector painting …  :)

post-1198-0-46734200-1431717681_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Russ, 

On canvas stroke width controls were already proposed and discussed on some threads and should be added later. Vector brushes are already present in a basic form (check the stroke width button on the context toolbar, then Properties...) and will also be revamped/improved later with more options.

As A_B_C pointed out you can already set the start and end points independently in the width profile tab.

Thanks for the replies, as always.

I think, however, I may have led you down a false path with use of the word "sides."  I didn't mean that the endpoints of the stroke can't be changed independently (I found that feature already — with ⌥ Option rater than Alt, not to be too picky.)   ;)

What I meant to convey was that width profiles can't be applied asymmetrically.  I've attached an example of what I'm talking about.  The lips you'll be looking at comprise exactly two shapes: one stock straight line with a red stroke, and one stock straight line with a black stroke.

Using the stroke width tool in the program these came from, I was able to make the strokes asymmetric, to bend the top of the red stroke to create two bumps, and the bottom to create a single curve.  With the black line, I added width markers just to one point in the middle, to create a mild rise on the top side while leaving the bottom side almost completely flat.  I've included a screenshot of the handles to make it easier to see where the points are.

As for vector brushes, I would imagine the "more options" you mentioned in your reply, MEB, will include the ability to stretch a source vector image along a curve, yes?

Thanks again as always!

—Russ

post-11244-0-68612500-1431743293_thumb.png

post-11244-0-57670400-1431744541_thumb.png

—Russ Jonson

Still and video design, logos, branding, and more 

RussDoes.com