You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pdf as a interchange medium

I'm a little worried about how this is going to work in the first release.

I ran a few simple tests where I exported a Pfd from Publisher and imported into other programs, including PagePlus. The results were not very good, in various ways.

Thinking the problem might be with the other program importers, I read Publisher's own Pdf back in.

Again there were inconsistencies, for example, the paragraph justification had changed in many places.

(I used the latest beta)

PDF has no concept of justification and the like, it expects text to stay in place with the same font it was originally created with, so it has no need to know what the application had its alignment set to.

When programs try to import PDFs like this they need to guess.  Different programs might make different guesses and this can lead to different results.

PDF is in fact a poor interchange format for documents that are meant to be edited.

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

PDF is in fact a poor interchange format for documents that are meant to be edited.

This. Yes. I feel a rant coming on so I will stop before I start.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.