You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I created a PNG file from a cutout. I then went to a document and added a pixel layer above the background layer and renamed the pixel layer. Then I pasted the PNG file onto that pixel layer. I did not expect AF to automatically create a mask layer under the background layer and also move the renamed pixel layer to below the background layer.

My objective was that I wanted to be able to do some hue and tint adjustments on the PNG object while it was on it's own layer. I thought I was doing things right but I guess I wasn't. Am I misunderstanding procedure here?

• Staff

Hi Dekade,

It shouldn't have automatically done this. If possible could you provide a screen recording of this behaviour?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

5 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Dekade,

It shouldn't have automatically done this. If possible could you provide a screen recording of this behaviour?

Thanks

Callum

Thanks for replying. I will try to go back to the document in question and do what you have requested sometime today.

I cannot get the process to duplicate entirely as my OP defined. So, I guess I originally must have done something odd. Now when I create a pixel layer and then paste the PNG, a new background layer is created above the pixel layer rather than pasting onto the pixel layer. The pixel layer is left untouched. If that is not what's supposed to happen I will post a screen capture.

11 minutes ago, Dekade said:

Now when I create a pixel layer and then paste the PNG, a new background layer is created above the pixel layer rather than pasting onto the pixel layer.

In what sense is the new layer a “background” layer? I would expect a background layer to be in the ... er ... background, behind other objects (i.e. below other layers in the layer stack).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The original background layer is the bottom layer, as I suppose is correct. I click on it to highlight it > Add a pixel layer > which appears above the original background layer > highlight the pixel layer > paste the PNG > new background layer is created by AF above the empty pixel layer that I just added with the PNG showing on it, not the pixel layer.

16 minutes ago, Dekade said:

layer is created by AF above the empty pixel layer that I just added with the PNG showing on it, not the pixel layer

I think that’s to be expected. As far as I’m aware, pasting always creates a new layer (even when you use the ‘Paste Inside’ command).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I think that’s to be expected. As far as I’m aware, pasting always creates a new layer (even when you use the ‘Paste Inside’ command).

Okay. Thanks for taking your time with the issue.