You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[By Design] Unicode U+00A7 § SECTION SIGN

Hello to all,

I'm an experienced user of Ps, Lr, Id, Scribus, Inkscape, GIMP,  and other programs or apps in photography and design. I started using Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer last year or earlier and there are very few features that I miss from my previous software, so I decided to download Publisher and it is true to form. The layout looks deceptively easy but it is very complete and features rich.  I started with a simple eight page document and there are no issues except when I insert a page number in the master. I get a Unicode U+00A7 § SECTION SIGN in the text box using the text or the artistic text selection. I do however get a page number but I may be missing a setup or procedure. I'm wondering if it's my MacBook Pro computer or something else.

Follow up, it took me a few minutes to backtrack and find the problem. Under Text - Show Special Characters I found the selection was on. As soon as I deselected it the character was turned off in the page box.

11 hours ago, Curt said:

I'm an experienced user of (...) Id, Scribus, (...) I'm wondering if it's my MacBook Pro computer or something else.

Seems you simply never have set those Special Characters to visible. They exist in Id and Scribus, too ;)

They are quite useful to get various information inside a text. For instance against unseen soft line breakes which make you think "Justified Left" is kaput in a last line.

851993240_invisiblecharacters.jpg.12692d063475b2ef6653b1b2d1dd7b3e.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.