You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text looks different after exporting

Hello :)

I seem to be unable to export some text with the applied fx on. The attached screenshots show my text in affinity and then after exporting to pdf.

This is for a book front cover. In affinity I have a nice ink drop style effect with white shadows etc, then after exporting the text appears flat with no texture, just plain black.

I have read a lot about rasterising and converting to pixels but each time I do this the nice text becomes all fuzzy and I lose my effects on export anyway. Is there a way to rasterise and maintain the smooth edges to the text?

I really appreciate any help! :)

Thanks,

Adam

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 16.59.16.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 16.52.44.png

Just tried this with your PDF settings and got this: (Top is Affinity Photo, bottom is exported PDF)
Screen-Shot-2019-04-29-at-21-43-48.png

For the LayersTabFxIcon_lightui.png.e1b19cdce2bd993c23eb898ae057b970.png I used:

1525690927_ScreenShot2019-04-29at21_46_41.png.ab1100a6033fc6d1fb89f3ae6236eddd.png766937054_ScreenShot2019-04-29at21_47_34.png.a93f57aa3930c490e00f0da7d5c307a6.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 years later...

I'm having this issue too, effects look different post export. Why? Why is this even a possibility? How can I get what I see on the screen while I'm working? How can anyone trust this program if exports look drastically different than the work that appears on the screen?

1 minute ago, iconoclast said:

As far as I see, the issue is that the FX (3D) are not transfered, right?

For me it happens with all the effects from outlines, to shadows, to glow, to even noise in a color When applying any effect like the 3D or otherwise. Regradless of whether "scale with object" is selected or not, the exported result looks very different, thinned out. Here's an example:

2090130700_FXPost-ExportIssue.JPG.259e2f015b69bb0e7f0fee8f48ccfcf9.JPG

Left image is Post-Export, right image is Pre-Export

1 minute ago, iconoclast said:

At first, we are talking about Publisher, right? Seems to work fine for me. But I'm on Windows. You're on Mac, right? Possibly a bug of the Mac version?

This happens in all the Affinity apps for me. The picture I attached is from a Designer project. I’m using Windows 10, latest update on all the Affinity apps. 

What are your updated versions? My Photo and Publisher, I purchased from the Windows Store, got updated yesterday to vs 1.10.0.1127. Designer, I purchased from the Affinity Store, hasn't updated yet. It is still 1.9.2.1035. As far as I remember, it should have done automatically after I started it. But even I am locked in to my user account, I can't see any option to start an update. Should I start a thread for this?

I made several experiments with various settings, but I could'nt reproduce your problem. Maybe it could help if you would upload a sample file in an Affinity format (afdesign, afpub, afphoto).

By the way, what software are you displaying your exported pdf-files with? I watched mine in Firefox and Acrobat Reader and they looked as they should.