You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double click text layer

It would be awesome if double clicking on a Text layer would not only take you to the layer and select it, but also Select the contents of the text layer. This is one of those productivity boosters I use all the time. Instead of trying to click through layers with the Text tool, it's much quicker to do it through the Layer panel. I use this in Photoshop ALL the time. It's much easier than having to fiddle with the Text tool. Please consider adding this functionality. Thanks for all you do!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I didn't know that :)

But, even so, it is intuitive to double click the Text layer and assume that we should start editing that text.

Maybe... adding a modifier that, when pressed while double clicking the Text layer in the Layers list, would enter edit mode, without fitting the text box in the canvas?

Thanks for that MEB, yeah that's how I usually do it; the problem arises when there are other objects / text layers above the one you want to edit... It's really slick and easy to do it straight from the Layers palette. Perhaps Triple clicking on a text layer in the Layers panel reflects the same behavior as in the Canvas? Or as rui_mac suggested, with a modifier key, although that's a bit more obscure, and not as tablet-friendly, but better than nothing if the other alternatives are unfeasible....

Do you know you can triple-click a text object on canvas to have it selected including its content, both with the Move and Text tools?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.