You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spelling and language settings

I am UK/Europe based and my first choice language is English, not US English.

My language choice is set correctly in the Preferences and yet when I run a spell check I am offered Americanised spelling corrections.

I'm talking about simple words like colour, harbour etc.

For a UK-based company this is a serious oversight and needs correcting asap.

Spell-checking is controlled by the language you have specified in the Character panel.

image.png.17746d08480b8886ecabcef45e6223c4.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Although in Preferences both versions of English are shown, in the Language window of the Characters panel the only option is English, main no distinction between any of the many variations of English.

And as I mentioned before, when I run a spell check my usual English spellings of words such as colour are wrongly flagged up. An important issue for those of us who work in the UK, and probably on Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc, who generally follow British spelling norms and not those favoured by the US.

This forum is this same, constantly changing my English spellings for the US equivalent. 

• Staff

Hi @Xpresso

On the Mac we use the dictionaries that are set up within the OS itself to spell check.

Please go to System Preferences >  Keyboard > Text > Spelling > at the bottom of the drop list "Set up…”

If you ensure US and UK (or remove one if you would rather it didn't appear) are selected they should both be visible from within the application.

On Windows we use Hunspell dictionaries that we install, and we install both by default.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.