You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Generate PDF from multiple files in Affinity Photo

Hello. I have 10 files and I want to export them as one PDF, the same that can be done in photoshop automation.

I see batch jobs to add all files, but I can't find a way to export all as one PDF.

How to do it in Affinity Photo?

Thanks.

Hi Callum.

Any recommended solution for this?

This was my previous workflow in PS.

1- Create a PSD with 10 group layers. (Each layer group is a page)

2- Export each page (group layer) as PSD.

3- Automate > Generate PDF > Select 10 files > Export.

Done, I have a PDF with all the pages as needed.

What can be a workflow to achieve this with Affinity Photo?

Thanks.

That process seems cumbersome. You start with 1 file. Break it into 10 files, then recombine into 1 PDF?

However, if I were doing that with Affinity applications, I would probably use Designer. In one .afdesign file I would make each of your 10 layer groups an artboard, and then simply use File > Export to create the PDF. Much simpler workflow, in my opinion.

Photo doesn't have artboards, and is designed more as a single canvas application, so isn't really the appropriate choice for the need you describe.

Publisher would also be a possibility when it's available, as it is a mult-page application, but it's probably overkill for that particular need. And might still need assistance from either Designer or Photo to do some of the editing work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

That process seems cumbersome. You start with 1 file. Break it into 10 files, then recombine into 1 PDF?

I need them separately for other kind of work as well for the complete process I do (it is not just the mentioned above) and as I have them like that anyway, I can just process them in photoshop to make things happen.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

However, if I were doing that with Affinity applications, I would probably use Designer. In one .afdesign file I would make each of your 10 layer groups an artboard, and then simply use File > Export to create the PDF. Much simpler workflow, in my opinion.

How can I:

1- From Affinity Photo export to designer and have all layer groups as artboards?

or at least

2- From Designer import all files as artboards?

Thanks for your help.

2 minutes ago, polle said:

How can I:

1- From Affinity Photo export to designer and have all layer groups as artboards?

or at least

2- From Designer import all files as artboards?

For 1, from Designer, you can simply File > Open your .afphoto file (or your .psd file). Or from Photo you can File > Edit in Designer.

However, getting all the layer groups as artboards is a small manual effort.

1. Select a group in the Layers panel.
  2. Select the Artboard Tool.
  3. In the Context Toolbar, change Size to Selection, and click Insert Artboard.
  4. Repeat.

For 2, I don't think you can do that. However, you could create Artboards, and then use File > Place to put one of your files on top of the artboard as an embedded file. I'm not sure that would do everything you want, but for simply exporting as a PDF it should.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Note that if you were starting with 1 file and wanting to split it (for other purposes) or export as a PDF you can do either of those using Artboards in Designer. To export individual files you could use the Export Persona, and to export as a multi-page PDF you would use File > Export.

But if you're starting with separate files then there's going to be manual work to assemble them into a single .afdesign file.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...