You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Relinking Files

Can we please add a relink button or function on the Links Panel? BTW, what is that panel for other than to see what's in the doc that is a link? I thought I could do this without having to open the Resources Manager. I like the Resources Manager but it's a shame that it's functionality is not available for fast relinking.

1 hour ago, evtonic3 said:

Can we please add a relink button or function on the Links Panel? BTW, what is that panel for other than to see what's in the doc that is a link? I thought I could do this without having to open the Resources Manager.

The Links panel is for Links between layers within the document. It's nothing to do with the Resource Manager or Linked external files.

Help: https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/LayerOperations/linking.html

If you want to relink Linked files, use the Resource Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, evtonic3 said:

Why are "links" not links in Affinity? Beats me. 

Links are links, and operate between layers.

Linked files are not links.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 hours ago, evtonic3 said:

Why are "links" not links in Affinity? Beats me. 

This is how linking functions in software of this genre.

In real professional graphic design programs like Adobe Photoshop, and CorelDRAW, there's a distinct separation between the concepts of "linked layers" and "linked files" within the user interface. This distinction is crucial to ensure customers can easily navigate and understand the difference between these two features, each playing important but different roles in the design process:

• Linked layers focuses on the relationship between layers within the same document. When layers are linked, changes in one layer (such as position, size, rotation) are mirrored in the linked layers. This function is typically accessible directly in the layers panel or through a specific menu for layer management.
  • Linked files refers to connections between a document and external files, like images or graphics, stored outside of the document. In many programs, this is used to reduce file size and make updating resources across multiple documents easier. These links are often managed in a separate panel or window, where users can view and manage all external file connections.

This separation in the user interface helps maintain clarity and efficiency in workflow. 

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.