You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making more Ripples

John Rostron

I have updated my Ripples macro originally posted under Tutorials. I am now posting under Resources, since it is really delivering a sort-of-finished product rather than a 'How to'.

The new version has three parameters:

a controls vertical spacing of the ripples. Reducing the a parameter increases the ripple frequency (reduces the wavelength).

b controls the horizontal variation of ripple amplitude across the width of the image. Small values of b make the ripples change a lot across the image. For large values (~=1) the changes cycle two or three times across the image.

c affects ripple complexity. This is very much a suck-it-and-see parameter. A value of one adds no complexity, a vale of 1 does.

Here is an original image (Tewkesbury Mill inverted):

1901169393_TewkesburyMillFlipped25pc.jpg.2c948101259da3a9b6bcb2d1d097a0ca.jpg

And with the macro applid with a-1, b=0.5 and c-0.5:

1044147173_TewkesburyMillRipples225pc.jpg.bfb96ad3ac903dea7806d1c72b1c9cf2.jpg

I have to admit that the results I have had with this macro are varied. Sometimes it is very impressive, but for other images it is definitely not!

Here is the macro as a single file and as a library:

Ripples.afmacro

Ripples.afmacros

I have been looking at the Distortions macro in the Macro Pack with mixed results. I have got it to perform, but not consistently. It appears to have no visible effect on the Tewkesbury Mill image.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

John, Sorry to say :

Neither Macro works on my iMac. The one for the Library (Ripples.macroS) returns this message, see attachment.

The one named ".macro"  does nothing at all, doesn't import,doesn't return any message. I'm using Photo v 1.6.7., not the Beta.Macroformat.png.4ca4bb60d3c9aaa689b459846f01db96.png

Yes, same here "Unexpected Macros Format". - I believe John probably used a APh beta version when he created those (?).

Instead the Ripple macros from here should work ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2