Jump to content
vopash

Inconsistent modifiers in text editing hotkeys

Recommended Posts

tl;dr: Every macOS app “knows” to move cursor by word w/ Alt modifier. Publisher (Actually, any Affinity app) requires Cmd modifier, which is inconsistent. Actually, this problem applies to every of Affinity apps, but I won't spawn multiple topics. :)

Long version of the problem: Whenever I edit texts in text areas in Publisher, I get stuck with inconsistent modifiers. Publisher requires me to NOT use system hotkeys which work literally everywhere. Even worse, sometimes system modifiers work, and sometimes they do not.

E. g., in every app except Affinity apps including Publisher: 

  • Arrows ←→ move cursor by a symbol, Delete removes a symbol,
  • Alt+arrows move cursor by a word, Alt+Delete removes a word,
  • Cmd+arrows move cursor to the line beginning or end, Cmd+Delete removes anything up to line's beginning or end.

This pattern is simple, elegant, memorizable and works everywhere.

In Publisher and any other Affinity app:

  • Alt+arrows alter a symbol's kerning,
  • Alt+Delete deletes a word,
  • Cmd+arrows move cursor by word,
  • Cmd+Delete deletes a line.

This inconsistency matters a lot to me, because I work with text in many different apps, and I can't adapt to Publisher's hotkeys at all. I believe it's the single most annoying issue for me. I understand that you won't change the default behavior because it copies (flawed) Adobe's hotkeys.

However, since many hotkeys in Publisher are now customizable, I ask for an option to assign my own hotkeys for kerning and support system-wide text navigation modifiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, vopash said:

move cursor by a symbol

I believe you mean by a character, or possibly by a glyph.  A symbol has a specific meaning in the Affinity applications which is unrelated to this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 10:56 PM, vopash said:

This inconsistency matters a lot to me, because I work with text in many different apps, and I can't adapt to Publisher's hotkeys at all. I believe it's the single most annoying issue for me. I understand that you won't change the default behavior because it copies (flawed) Adobe's hotkeys.

However, since many hotkeys in Publisher are now customizable, I ask for an option to assign my own hotkeys for kerning and support system-wide text navigation modifiers.

Thanks for letting us know - I'll get this feedback passed on to development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, fde101 said:

I believe you mean by a character, or possibly by a glyph.  A symbol has a specific meaning in the Affinity applications which is unrelated to this topic.

Yeah, of course. Sorry, I'm not native speaker, and my English is not perfect.

 

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for letting us know - I'll get this feedback passed on to development.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys...I'm loving Publisher so far, and my first piece of feedback was top be exactly this same topic. I absolutely agree with @vopash about the inconsistency with modifier keys across all Mac apps, and how AMAZING it would be to not have the frustration with having to go against our built-in muscle memory when working with text in Publisher. I figured the reason the developers made it this way was to be consistent with Adobe products, which is also INCONSISTENT with every other Mac app. I seriously urge you not to follow their lead in the awful UI design choice, or at least provide an option to use the bad Adobe way or the smart Mac way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.