I created a new square brush and in the brush 'Dynamics' I've set the Rotation Jitter to 100% and selected 'Direction'. I assumed that the square brushe's x-axis would now align to the direction of my stroke but it still is aligned in a 90 degrees setting to the x and y axis of the page.

What must I do that the square's axis follows my stroke instead?

In the brushes settings on the general tab set the rotation to 1% it should now follow the brush direction.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

50 minutes ago, Sapiento said:

I've set the Rotation Jitter to 100%

The ‘jitter’ settings determine how much the actual value can vary from the base value. For example, with a base value of 40% and a jitter value of 12%, the actual value can be anywhere between 28% (i.e. 40 - 12) and 52% (i.e. 40 + 12).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

In the brushes settings on the general tab set the rotation to 1% it should now follow the brush direction.

That did the trick, thank you!

56 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The ‘jitter’ settings determine how much the actual value can vary from the base value. For example, with a base value of 40% and a jitter value of 12%, the actual value can be anywhere between 28% (i.e. 40 - 12) and 52% (i.e. 40 + 12).

Thank you!