Sign in to follow this  
Dx2

Behaviors with different file formats

When I open an EPS (logo over white background) I am unable to make a selection with either the Selection Brush or Flood Select. I can make a selection with the Rectangular Marquee tool, but if I select some of the white background to the side of the logo and hit delete, the logo goes away. I only have one layer so I'm not sure what's going on.

Additionally, PDF files seem to work the same way. I have tried flattening the images first and that gives some more options, but still not everything works. When I open a PNG screen capture all tools function normally.

I am new to Affinity Photo and it seems to be really powerful and I'm sure this is operator error. I have looked at the forum and tutorials and cannot find topics on these particular issues. I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Hi Dx2,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you try right clicking the layer you are trying to make a selection on and choose rasterise then try making your selection?

Thanks

Callum

Callum,

I rasterized both a TIFF and EPS and both act the same: I can't brush select, but I can flood select. 

Can you give any more insight? I have rasterized the layer and still the behavior is the same.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:31 PM, Dx2 said:

Callum,

I rasterized both a TIFF and EPS and both act the same: I can't brush select, but I can flood select. 

But, when you marquee select, and press delete, do you still lose everything, or just the part you selected?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

If I open an EPS,  right click on the pixel layer and rasterize it, the Selection Brush doesn't work. If I select with Flood Select and hit delete, nothing happens. If I select with the Marquee tool and then delete, the selected area turns white.

If it's a TIFF file, it seems to work fine except for the Selection Brush tool that doesn't seem to do anything. 

This is probably all my inexperience with the program. I'm just trying to find where I'm missing a step.

Thank you.

@Dx2 Make sure you don't have Subtract set in Mode: on the Selection Brush Tool, it's easily done.1991612167_ScreenShot2019-02-11at19_47_03.png.9723ff466d9a38c2d645b1fa9ffbebac.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials Instagram & Flickr