You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save Disabled

Hi.

I have just found Affinnity Publsher ... I am looking for a way out of the Adobe culture ... and InDesign is the final blockage.

My first attempt was a PDF that I dragged into a blank page ... wondering how it would cope ... edit or image? ... excellent editing ... I was seriously impressed. The pdf contained a mixture of raster images and vector lines.

I made a few quick fluid changes to the document including copying/pasting onto a second page ... finished ... happy :-) ... and then I could not save!

The File Save; and File Save As...; options are both disabled. Is this to be expected? I have I missed something obvious?

I tried to export as SVG but that produced an editable document scaled down from A4 to 96x48 pixels.

I am using version 1.7.0.206.

The original PDF is attached. I was playing with something for my boy :-) ... and maybe me ...  

Thanks.

T.16000M FCS Hotas - TARGET Script Axis and Button Names.pdf

An Update.

After I had posted above, I closed publisher and it offered to save ... so I saved :-)

BUT on reloading ... the file was not so much corrupted as incomplete ... that it it only had the correctly edited contents of page 1. Page 2 no longer exists ... it does not seem to have saved the file completely.

I have something ... but obviously I cannot work with it knowing that I cannot save, or cannot trust that any investment in time will see the work fully saved.

I have attached what was saved ... it may be an opening issue or it may be a saving issue ... I hope that it helps somewhere in the Beta process.

Regards

Folbo.

Blank Bindings File.afpub

EDIT: FWIW: Having reloaded the truncated file, the save and save as are enabled,

Edit 2:Confused by the UI. For some reason, to see both pages, I have to click on a button called 'Edit Document' or something ... which loads a table called 'Embedded' which contains my two pages ...  probably a newbies issue with a new pedagogy ...  that may have been the issue above as well ... Hmmm... things are not as simple as I thought, ... or perhaps as they should be?

1 hour ago, Folbo said:

to see both pages, I have to click on a button called 'Edit Document' or something ... which loads a table called 'Embedded' which contains my two pages

When you embedded the PDF file you probably converted it into an embedded Affinity document which means that the actual original document will only show one page of it.  When you were seeing the disabled "Save" options you were probably looking at the embedded document rather than the actual document you would have saved (as you noticed it can be opened in a new tab) so it would be the underlying original document, not the embedded one, that should be saved.

In the original document, with the embedded document selected, you should see a control in the context toolbar to choose which page you want to have displayed.  You can only show one at a time for an embedded document.

Try opening the PDF file (File/Open) instead of dragging it into an existing document if you want to get all of the pages.

8 hours ago, Chris_K said:

I'm not getting a save issue but i shall keep looking into that.

If I drag a PDF file into an open document to embed or link the document, then I click "Edit Document" in the context toolbar with the embedded document selected, when I have the tab selected with the embedded document in it, both "Save" and "Save As" are disabled in the File menu, even after I make a change to the document.

Switching to the tab which the document is embedded into re-enables the options.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.