catlover

Affinity Des & Photo- All: Fonts listing -Mac

I have disabled numerous fonts.

Yet, they still show up in the fonts listing in Aff  Des & Photo & Pub.
That makes the listing unnecessary long and tedious to go through when having to pick a font.

Is there any way to prevent the disabled fonts from showing up in the listing ?

And if not, could this be added to the feature requests ??

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before !

That what you do not yet know is more important than what you already know-Jordan Peterson

How did you disable them? Are you using a third party font management utility?

I use the Font Book app Apple provides with the OS. For me, fonts I disable in Font Book do not appear in the Affinity app font lists.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Thanks, R C-R.,

I figured it out:

I did disable through the Fontbook app, and the fonts I did disable, do indeed not show up anymore.
However, I thought I'd disabled these particular fonts as well, but when I checked it looks like I can neither disable, nor remove them.
I think they're system fonts in some non-western script, my guess is Japanese, judging by their name.
Hiragino Kaku, Hiragino Mincho. There are numerous others like it.

I'll move them to a temp folder to see if that has any influence on the system.
C.L.

That what you do not yet know is more important than what you already know-Jordan Peterson

If the Mac versions work like the Windows version, the font list has several tailoring options (All, Recent, Used, Favorites) which might help organize (or subset) a long list:

fontlist.png.4788cc602f919a691678090e141a1dc8.png

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.221 Beta

Thanks, Walt.

I'll give it go.

In the mean time, I'll go through my fonts with a fine toothcomb.

Got too many anyway.

2 hours ago, catlover said:

However, I thought I'd disabled these particular fonts as well, but when I checked it looks like I can neither disable, nor remove them.
I think they're system fonts in some non-western script, my guess is Japanese, judging by their name.
Hiragino Kaku, Hiragino Mincho. There are numerous others like it.

It sounds like those are among the fonts in the System/Library/Fonts folder. According to Apple, those fonts are "required by your Mac and can't be disabled in Font Book." See for example the "Learn More" section of Fonts included with macOS High Sierra or Fonts included with macOS Mojave.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1