Rishi

Mask not visible When used on a filter

If I am applying "high pass filter" and want to mask certain content from the effect of the filter, I invert the mask but the Icon of the filter does not "black out" when I apply "Invert" by presing "Ctrl+I" , however the effect of inversion is visible on the picture. Now If I pick the white brush and paint some areas to reveal the effect of the mask ... nothing happens.

What is going wrong here?

Snapshot of applied filter, brush color icon and Brush selected attached as JPEG files

Mask error.JPG

Brush Colour.JPG

Brush.JPG

Maybe if you explained what you are doing we can help you more?

Why don't you use the frequency separation filter, if you just apply a high pass filter to the original image with no editing of the original image what you are effectively doing is creating an unsharp mask of sorts.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

Brush opacity to low ?

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

Windows 10 Home v 1803/ 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

Hi Rishi,

Welcome to the forums :)

8 hours ago, Rishi said:

I invert the mask but the Icon of the filter does not "black out" when I apply "Invert" by presing "Ctrl+I" , however the effect of inversion is visible on the picture

This is an issue we're aware of and has already been logged with our developers, the thumbnail preview does not update until another change is made in the layers panel, such as adding a mask or a new layer.

8 hours ago, Rishi said:

Now If I pick the white brush and paint some areas to reveal the effect of the mask ... nothing happens.

As HVDB has mentioned above, please check which brush you're using and that all of it's settings are correct. You may have your opacity set to 0% for the brush etc.

@Dan CHas this been fixed in the 1.7.x beta?

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-12, - iPad2 iOS 9.35 B|  Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials - Public Domain Images

On 12/14/2018 at 2:55 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Rishi,

This is an issue we're aware of and has already been logged with our developers, the thumbnail preview does not update until another change is made in the layers panel, such as adding a mask or a new layer.

As HVDB has mentioned above, please check which brush you're using and that all of it's settings are correct. You may have your opacity set to 0% for the brush etc.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:55 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Rishi,

On 12/29/2018 at 1:00 PM, Rishi said:

My Mistake, Opacity and flow was set very low :(

Thanks for letting us know @Rishi Kudos to HVDB.