You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparency on imported images doesn't work?

Funny, about an hour ago I just used the transparency tool on imported TIFF images and it worked fine.  I must admit I had a couple of goes before I realised how to do it, tell me your steps and I will see where I can help.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

• Staff

Hi Pixelplucker, PerfectlyPeter,
The Transparency Tool only works on Image layers, not pixel layers. To see the type of layer you are dealing with check the label between parenthesis after the layer name in the Layers panel. You can control/apply transparency to pixel layers through masking.

Image layers are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool (in Affinity Designer only), the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first. To do it right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. They are then converted to a pixel layer type which you can then manipulate at a pixel level.

PerfectlyPeter,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.