You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity logo remains on thumbnail of edited photo & when I click on photo to view, it opens in Affinity which is not necessarily my choice..

Affinity logo remains on thumbnail of edited photo.  I don't care so much about the logo, but I see no need for it to be there, and I wonder if the logo will stay attached when I forward the pic to someone.  Also, when I click on that photo to view, it opens in Affinity.   I don't necessarily want it to do that.  I may want a quick look for sorting purposes.  I may want to open in a different editor.  I have edited only one photo since receiving Affinity, and because of this challenge I immediately deleted it and have not attempted any other edits.  It looked as if it will be a good editor, but I want control over my computer and my photos.  I feel defeated before I begin.  Can you tell me how to fulfill my needs?  Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Bonniew,

Welcome to the forums :)

It sounds as though you're referring to the Affinity apps changing the default app settings for your operating system. This is changeable at any time and can be reverted without uninstalling the program. The operating system is currently using Affinity as the default viewer for images, which is why you're seeing the logo as it's thumbnail, however the file is still a standard image file which can be distributed as normal.

Could you please confirm, are you using Windows or Mac?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I'm using Windows.  I edited the image, then did a Save As by adding the extension .jpg to the name. because there was no other way to add it in. The Affinity logo appeared on the thumbnail.  You are right about the default app settings... it did default to Affinity... but when I used your suggestion to open with something else, I first tried opening with Windows Photo Viewer, but a pop up message told me "Windows Photo Viewer cannot open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer."  (My computer updates regularly).     I see the problem... when I try to Save As, it tells me the photo will be an Affinity file, and does not allow me to change the words 'Affinity file' to '.jpg', or to anything else.  Finally I went to the space for the file name and added a .jpg extension, but of course the space below it was still telling me it is an Affinity file.  A blank thumbnail showed up in that folder, with the new name & .jpg, BUT my image was not on the thumbnail, it was only an indicator that the thumbnail was a Windows Photo Viewer pic (painting of water, mountains, sky with clouds) and it refused to open with Windows Photo Viewer, just gave me the same msg that either Photo Viewer doesn't' support this file format, or I don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer.  HOWEVER, it DID open in Affinity when I asked it to, even with the .jpg format.  I cannot upload those Window photo Viewer pics into this space with the uploader, it recorded the name at the uploader, but the msg says Upload Failed.  It shouldn't be this difficult.  I'm grateful for your suggestion, as it gave me a few other ideas too, but nothing seems to work.  I still need assistance... but what?

When you use Save As... you will always create a native Affinity file (with file extension .afphoto). You cannot create a JPG using Save As..., even if you try to manually type .jpg after the name. To create a JPG file, you must use the Export... command from the File menu. This will create a JPG file (or a TIFF, PNG, PSD, etc) and should get you what you’re looking for.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Wow, that is very helpful.  It's a whole new language for me.  My previous editors were pretty simple.  What you say makes sense, I will attempt to change the way I think.  I appreciate your help... but you may see me here again tomorrow!!!  Thank you.

We were all newbies at one time. This forum is wonderful - it is quite active, and the vast majority of people are immensely helpful. It’s a kind of “pay it forward” scenario that works well. Trust me, in a year you’ll be the one answering questions for someone else. It’s really quite nice, and very satisfying.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Oh I really hope you are right, that I can learn the terminology.  I'm not young, and the editing language seems to have changed a great deal since Paint and PhotoImpact... but even PhotoImpact gave me challenges.  Now I see I must learn the language or I'll waste a lot of time.  Affinity seems to have a lot to offer and I was looking forward to it but I was stuck before I even began.  Thanks for the encouragement and the kickstart... I'll start watching the tutorials now that I understand how to create a .jpg of my edit.

• 2 years later...

I just noticed many of my phone photos are now showing the Affinity log and not the thumbnail.  These are all JPGs and not .afphoto files.

I don't notice this with files on the PC, just when I connect the phone and go to manage the DCIM folder.

Suggestions?

• Staff

Hi @PeteMc,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

You'll need to change the default application for JPEG images in Windows to return the thumbnail here to the Windows Photo app and you should then see Thumbnails appear.

You can find out how to change default applications in Windows from the below link -

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-change-file-associations/

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Okay, not what I was expecting...

I'll put in a BUG Report then as it really should not be necessary to change the default to see thumbnails in a Windows folder.  A program overwriting that with their logo, especially a graphics program, has issues.

Thanks for the info!

35 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

A program overwriting that with their logo, especially a graphics program, has issues.

AP didn't overwrite anything - Windows has changed the default program associated with .jpg.  I don't know why you're not seeing the same with other files on the PC - maybe they're .jpeg rather than .jpg?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10