You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrap will not work on second page of document

I have a multi page document where each page has one two-column text box full of text flowing from the first page.

I wish to populate the document with photo panels, each sitting inside a text panel. I then wish to copy the first photo panel throughout the document changing the picture in each panel and changing the wording below each picture. I wish to do this by copying as it (hopefully) will paste the new panels with all the same effects and word wrap features. as shown below.

image.png.9fc2b848fa3a2f9d797d8afb11a340be.pngimage.png.802e7037f9e472f56b1d3ed7435fe051.png     

The above panel (shown on the right) was made by using a picture frame and placing a picture in it. A text box - bottom layer on left - contains the words "Photo.1 My Shop Made Grinder" and all those items were grouped together in a group layer called "Frame and Picture" The whole lot was then grouped into a group called "Photo 1 (Group)". The text frame has the vertical alignment set to bottom align to ensure that the text is shown below the picture. 

This gave me a panel that I can copy and paste within my first page and the text in the two column page wraps around the picture panel as expected. The text also wraps around the pasted copy in exactly the same way. However, if I copy the picture panel onto the second page, the text does NOT wrap around the panel and I can find no way of making it do so - despite the word wrap settings on the copied panel object being set to "Jump".

If I paste the panel onto the first page, my text wraps around it ok. If I pick up the panel with the mouse and drag it to the next page, the text stops wrapping as the panel moves from the first to the second page. If I move it back onto the first page the text will wrap around the panel again - as before. Is this a bug - am I doing something wrong - is there a work around?

I am happy to send a dummy document if necessary as this just has me beat.

Kind Regards

David

Thank Chris,

I have just this minute solved the problem. (I think). Whilst playing around with text wrapping on the first page, I had inadvertently moved the layer with the general, two column,  text to be a child layer within the "picture panel". Understandably this had played havoc with the text flow. Moving the layer back out to where it belongs solved the problem.

Out of interest, to a new user, it seems very strange that you can create an object (say a circle) on top of a text box full of text, the programme will allow the creation of the object and will allow the text to flow around it. The programme will however NOT allow the creation of a text box over the top of an existing text box, but insists that you create it away from the page, in blank space, and then slide the new text box over the original one. I hope that I have explained this clearly. It seems counter intuitive to the user. (or at least to me).

Sorry to have mislead you with my original post. Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

David 

2 hours ago, DavidSilverSteel said:

The programme will however NOT allow the creation of a text box over the top of an existing text box, but insists that you create it away from the page, in blank space, and then slide the new text box over the original one. I hope that I have explained this clearly. It seems counter intuitive to the user. (or at least to me).

I think the problem is that if you attempt to use the Text Frame Tool to create a new text frame on top of an existing one, you simply end up in edit mode on the first frame's text.

You need to click outside the first frame to begin a new one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.