You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

program association and handoff issues

Issue 1: Some Affinity Designer files default open in Affinity Photo. Also, for some files, the icon associated with a Designer file show the Photo icon.

Issue 2:  Adobe Illustrator files are associated with Affinity Publisher. Trying to change the association creates the error " {file name} can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."

Issue 3: While working on an Affinity Designer file on my MacBook Pro, the Handoff icon on my iMac shows Affinity Publisher. 

I have attached some screenshots.

Thanks in advance.

-Bill

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.43.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.48.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 7.46.00 AM.png

• Staff

Hi befehr,

I'm sorry to hear you have been having issues with the Affinity Suite I will answer your questions in the order they were asked :)

1. What happens if  you right click the designer files and go to Open With > Other > Designer and make sure Always open with is selected?

2. Please could you try going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and allow Publisher to run from there ?

3. This is likely down to the app being in beta, as far as I'm aware (this could change as I'm not 100%) we don't plan on supporting hand off in Publisher.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

39 minutes ago, hifred said:

Please move, if considered unrelated: I have issues with Affinity apps interfering with clearly assigned file types.
When I inside Photoshop click an embedded .ai file (smart object) I without exception want Illustrator to open.
Now I get this disambiguation dialog...

2018-09-21_15h21_14.jpg

I don't think that's Affinity interfering; I think that's just Windows giving you a choice, and ticking the box to always use your choice should take care of it.

Once you've opened that file, and checked "Always use this app", do you keep having the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You might be correct Walt – but while I'm aware that I'd bark at the wrong tree – I'd hate Windows for doing that as well.
If one uses a suite of programs and dozens of file formats (I now see it also for every RAW format i have on disk) one usually will
have made up his mind what should happen with files by default. And there's still "Open with" for all exceptions. It's a lot of superflous
Popups one needs to deal with...

Right now, while I own Photo and Designer don't actually work with Affinity – I want zero system integration.

3 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi befehr,

I'm sorry to hear you have been having issues with the Affinity Suite I will answer your questions in the order they were asked :)

1. What happens if  you right click the designer files and go to Open With > Other > Designer and make sure Always open with is selected?

2. Please could you try going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and allow Publisher to run from there ?

3. This is likely down to the app being in beta, as far as I'm aware (this could change as I'm not 100%) we don't plan on supporting hand off in Publisher.

Thanks
C

Just to be clear up front, it's not that I want Publisher to open properly, it's that I want to reassign Designer as the default to Designer and Illustrator files. 

1. Right click and selecting Designer as the application works as expected. Note that this does not change the default program.

2. Not sure what you are asking.

3. I don't care if handoff works, it's just that Publisher comes up as default app instead of Designer.

If this is due to Publisher being beta I can either deal with it for now or uninstall if it become necessary.