I have been looking for a simple photo book layout program (Pages doesn't cut it esp. if you need to change something you have done).  I understand Affinity Publisher aims to be a comprehensive alternative to In Design etc.  It would be great if there were an option in it to have a "Personna" or something which would allow someone who wants more capability than Pages but doesn't want to deal with "too many" options to be able to master the basic layout features.  I have somewhat mastered Photoshop, no desire to repeat that experience.  Something along the lines of a "Lite" or "Elements" option- doesn't need to be a separate program, just a way to work with a stripped down feature set.

And, I would hope, a way to deal with an output format which would satisfy photo book publishers In Design format (or is there a PDF format output option?). 

It's nice to see another person with my use case. :)

I also love Adobe Elements range and don't like the overloaded big Photoshop.

At the moment I can't quite imagine which functionality you refer to as I find that Publisher does a good job on showing the simple options on the surface and hiding the complexity in studio panels so that you don't have to go there if you don't want/need.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780
Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.221