You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking in Stacked images – Flow & Hardness question

Hi,

I have a stacked image and want to mask in parts of some layers in order to do some manual focus stacking. (It is NOT an automatic focus-stack.)

When I try to mask in or out with flow and/or hardness, the edges of the brush itself are soft but in the image it is a hard edge. It is the same for every blend mode (e.g. average, median, maximum etc.).

In the screenshot below you can see the brush set to hardness 45% but in the image it has a hard edge. Same for the rest of the soft-edged mask.

Is this expected behaviour or is this a bug?

Thanks! 

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-03 um 10.20.40.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-03 um 10.35.59.jpg

• Staff

Hi user_0815 :)

This has been brought to our dev teams attention recently and we're currently awaiting a response as to if this is expected behavior. I personally suspect that the issue will be related to the maths at work in the background for the live stack, but this is only speculation. I'll update the thread as soon as I hear from the devs!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 years later...
  • Staff

My sincerest apologies, I can see I did not update this thread with the information provided!

I can confirm our developers provided the following information:

"Stacks only support hard alpha - ie. on or off.. Partial alpha makes no sense in most stack operators"

This is why you are shown a 'hard edge' in this mask. I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I haveen't posted my followup either. For Focus stacking, I have since also used Silkypix to stack raw images right after the shoot. Both Photo and Silkypix seem to have different algorythms so that either one gets it right – and I don't have to stack manually.

However, I just went back to the original image and found out that "releasing" the Live Group shows the soft brush.

So the mask is actually soft edged but it just won't display it while the live group is active.

The workflow would be to right-click and release the group and then continue masking.