You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Alignment > target object

For my opinion the Alignment function did not works well.

I miss the function to align to a target object (the last selection)

Currently Affinity change the position of an object thats on the right position. :huh:

:michael)

[Funny english by stupid german  :rolleyes: ]

• 1 month later...

I would suggest following implementation, if appropriate:

1) first selected shape is the reference shape (maybe it would be good to have a preference option, whether it should be the first or the last shape chosen - I believe different users will have different preferences on this).

2) Alt+Cmd+L would align all shapes' left sides to the left side of the reference shape.

3) Alt+Cmd+R would do the same for right sides, Alt+Cmd+T for top sides and Alt+Cmd+B for the bottom sides.

4) There should also be a shortcut for vertical and horizontal distribution (Alt+Cmd+?..)

5) All of these commands should also be available from the alignment toolbar, of course.

I wouldn't mind if this was the only behavior of alignment tools. To be honest, I personally can't find an use case, where I would need alignment within selection bounds...

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

• 2 months later...

Bumping this. I would like to align to the first or last selected object, but with the option to also

- align the top of the selection to the bottom of the target (or reverse)

- align the left of the selection to the right of the target (or reverse)

instead of just matching left to left and top to top.

This is very useful when placing the top of the text under icon, for example when doing logos or layout mockups.

• 2 months later...

It's been almost a quarter, so I would like to boost this topic again a little :)

Would it be possible to implement this in some of the nearest betas?

Simply 2 things:

- add a switch in Settings for specifying whether the first or the last selected object should be the Target Object

- add a "Target Object" option in the "Align to" drop down on the alignment fly-out (with according behavior, of course)

What hevonen said in July should be a natural outcome of that. Target object would be the reference for top, bottom, left and right sides and also for the middle (vertically) and center (horizontally).

Thank you!

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).