What are you trying to achieve? give us a screenshot

Can you not duplicate the layer with the text on it and move it out of the compound

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

For example here, I need another "U". This happens if I have to work with a font that I don't have and I have to edit something. Obviously I can duplicate, break apart the curve of the whole compound object but this would be much easier and faster.226988889_ScreenShot2018-08-23at12_39_01PM.thumb.png.3269afc4e235802adb447f7318157ccd.png

I see what you mean now, it will not let you pick out a group of nodes to copy and paste

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

First thing to mention is that in Affinity a Compound is a very specific type of object (a live Boolean) - I don't think you are dealing with a Compound in this sense.

I think you have a Curves object (some text which has been converted to curves), and you want to duplicate a letter, right?

You could…

• Select the Curves object
  • Divide to break into all the separate letters
  • Group, so that the existing text remains intact.

Now you can Control + Click to select an individual letter and Copy Paste at will.

Note: For letters with holes (like the A and R) you will end up with 2 Curve objects (singular) - probably best to Subtract the holes to get a single Curves object (plural).

Note: i and j will have a separate dot, which you should probably Add to the body to get a single Curves object.

Hope that helps, as I can't think of a better method, other than finding the original font!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)