You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Pencil with Brush Texture Line Style in Stroke Studio

I am using the Pencil Tool and in Stroke Studio, I select Brush Texture Line Style. But when I draw a Pencil stroke, the currently selected brush is not applied. I just get a standard stroke. If I then go into Brush Studio and pick a Brush it is applied to the selected stroke.

I seem to be able to move between Solid and Dash Line styles without any problem. But when I select None style it jumps back to solid and when I select Brush Texture, I just get a Solid style. 

My question is can a Brush Texture be applied to a Pencil stroke whilst it is being drawn or is this style always applied after the stroke is drawn?

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for responding. I am confused then as why it says in the help section for the Pencil Tool:

"Line Styles (e.g., dashed or brush textures) can be applied using the Stroke Studio. For brush textures, pick a brush from the Brushes Studio."

It seems from this that brush strokes can be applied to lines drawn with the Pencil Tool. Is the text in the help guide wrong?

Hi, Nashi,

I think the documentation should probably read some thing like: ""Line Styles (e.g., dashed or brush textures) can be applied using the Stroke Studio. For brush textures,  select the brush option in the stroke studio and then pick a brush from the Brushes Studio."

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The vector brush uses any selected brush automatically. The pencil does not. It can draw a very expressive stroke, far more natural than the pen. But adding the bitmap "brush" image has to be done afterwards. The documentation is not clear. You aren't doing anything wrong.

I just noted that after drawing a pencil line, w. pressure selected as the controller, and then added to the brush stroke, I could continue drawing from that particular scribble with the same texture. So the "brush" texture sticks to the stroke, not to the tool.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet