You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer stack: Mask preview woes

Coming from Photoshop I have quite a problem with the Mask previews in Affinities Layer stack:

• The Mask preview is tiny + its size can not get adjusted
  • The Mask preview doesn’t show the actual mask, but a splotch icon (!)
  • The Mask preview appears square, regardless of document aspect ratio

Is there a good reason for any of this? I’m serious. Mask preview in Photoshop help me greatly...

• with orientation with many documents open
  • when editing a single document across several screens (e.g. Cintiq)
  • and most of all inside documents with poor/non-existing Layer naming

With a large Mask preview I can (in most cases) see right away what this layer does – without even having a layer name. I can confidently click the correct mask for some further tweaking – in Affinity I have no idea what the mask does (until I Alt-Click it). With a Mask preview that matches the document aspect ratio I can see right away whether the correct window has focus (the correct layer stack for the document is showing).

How can you all work with this – what am I doing wrong?
Obviously there's people who have hundreds of Layers and want things as compact as possible – but why isn't this configurable?

2018-07-14_13h34_18.jpg

Photohops Mask Preview in comparison.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do at the moment but by all means put a request for such features for the Layers Panel

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

As firstdefence has mentioned this is not currently a change-able option unfortunately. I'll have this thread moved to our feature requests section as we're always looking to improve our apps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!